Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Panel of Experts: Diaper Removal

Okay, advice time.

The Situation: Ever since they figured out how to take their diapers off nearly three weeks ago, Liam and Dash have been stripping down daily. Almost every morning, I walk into their rooms and find them completely naked. They regularly do their, ahem, business after they wake up in the morning, so there's always a mess to clean up (or it's otherwise wet).

Then, after I put them down for nap, about 70% of the time they spend an hour or so stripping down and laughing hysterically. Some days, they only do it because they've dirtied the diaper and don't want to hang out in it (and their brother copies), other days they just do it over and over again despite the diaper being fresh. They think it's so funny and keep encouraging each other. I basically have to stand by the door and barge in if I hear the tell-tale crinkle sounds to keep it from happening (they pull their diapers down, rather than removing the tabs, so duct tape wouldn't help). Then after they wake up from their nap, they again regularly do their business and get naked and make a big mess before I come into the room.

Why I'm Going Nuts: Firstly, I am getting so sick of changing bedding. I don't want to keep checking their blankets and stuffed animals and books for poop twice a day. I don't want to have to pick their waste up off the floor. I don't want to have to do laundry constantly. And getting those cribs remade is tiring for this pregnant lady- squishing my belly over the railing, tugging those snug sheets over the mattresses, bending over to replace the crib paraphernalia they threw on the floor, I'm bushed by the time I'm done (so what if I'm a wimp).

Secondly, I am obviously not making it clear to them that they need to keep their diapers on. It's been almost three weeks and it's still happening. The past few days, naptimes have gotten worse. They've learned to use all the doors and think it's really fun to use them all the time, so getting them into their cribs takes ages. That is the first step in wearing me down. Then I spend another hour going into their room to redress them over and over. I'm worn down even further. And then, as of late, they've been taking extra short naps- yesterday's was 45 minutes (and they were offset from each other, they were only simultaneously asleep for about 25 minutes). I'm defeated.

Possible Solutions: Maybe we can find some kind of clothing that they can't remove so they can't get to their diapers. They can do zippers but not buttons. It just couldn't be too warm of clothing because it gets a little warm in their room during naptime.

I could try to get to them the moment they wake up so they don't get a chance to strip down. But that's hard in the morning. And after naptime, a lot of times there's time between one boy waking up and the other waking. Plus, this does nothing for their pre-naptime festivities.

Sean and I have also thought about maybe jumping into potty training. They often tinkle in their potty and Liam even once did a doody in there (so proud), so maybe going full out would work. They obviously don't like to sit in their dirty diapers, though that's not the exclusive reason for removing them. In order to do this, though, we'd have to get the boys in toddler beds, so they'd have access to their potties right after they wake up (when it's time for "business"). That's not something I'd really want to do for them at this stage. It's so helpful to have them in a secure place for when they sleep. They already like to party before naptime, so it'd be so much worse with beds. I foresee many new problems- more than it would solve?

What do you think? Do you have a good solution to the diaper-removal problem? Are we a little crazy for thinking about potty training and toddler beds? Do you have an idea that I haven't thought of? Any kid-proof clothing recommendations? I need help, I'm all ears.

(Here's an oldie pic, because their bums are cute:)
IMG_0604e

9 comments:

  1. I would jump right into potty training! They're showing plenty of signs they're ready-all of which Ty shows none of (boo)-i.e. can take off their pants and don't like being in dirty diapers. And can't they climb out of their cribs anyways? Anyways, I don't qualify for the panel of experts on this one at all but I'd vote for potty training--maybe with pull-ups/button pjs at night for the morning time until you get them in beds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have already moved our son to a toddler bed, but mainly to get him out of ours(the bed is right next to ours). We have started to potty train, but it would be hard to expect him to immediately and independently do this after naptime... My method so far has been to put Nick on the potty every time I go. This works most of the time and is getting him used to the idea of going... not sure about how that would work with twins though:) We had a similar problem with the diaper removal, so we moved to slip on diapers (probably no help to you if they are sliding them off) From what I have read, this is a pretty good indicator of potty readiness, however, early potty training does not always equal early ending to potty training. With another baby on the way, I guess I would weigh out whether that is a battle I would rather fight later, potty training may or may not be more exhausting at this point. Lil' Nick has some cloth shorts that are overalls with buttons, I wonder if this might work for you... I think we got them at Kohl's as a set with a shirt, but I put him in just the bib britches (as my mom would say) when it is hot. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture first of all. If they don't like being in their dirty diapers and they tinkle on the potty, I say go for potty training. Of course, I'm still putting off training Preston (I keep saying, "next week") so easier said than done. We never experienced the diaper removal problem but I know friends who did would put them in zip or button up jammies on backwards so they couldn't reach them. And I'm all for cribs as long as possible :). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry! That sounds miserable. You're not a wimp at all. Changing crib bedding is really exhausting with a huge belly and aching back! Although I never had the problem with Addie taking off her diaper, I can give you my two cents with potty training. When I started the process, she would wake up really wet every morning, but I still went for it. After about a week of training she started waking up dry, simply because she now knew how to hold it and control it. She still sleeps in her crib (she refuses the toddler bed), and she's never wet in it because she has so much more bladder control now. I think the key is finding some motivation for them to not use the bathroom. For Addie it was buying her princess panties. She would do anything to not soil those beautiful little undies:) I hope this helps and isn't too jumbled. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had to deal with that as much as you have. Austin really only takes his diaper off when we ask him to. But I think if I were you I would try the toddler beds first. I know the feeling of not wanting to change something because it's more convenient for you but sometimes it does help. I would think that the change to toddler beds would be something new for them so they might be less likely to take the diaper off and make poopy messes....though there will be plenty of messes once they are in toddler beds, but you can always teach them to help clean those up. If the new beds don't help then you can try potty training. At least this way you are headed in the right direction moving them to beds first then potty training. But that also has a whole host of new "problems". We've been trying to potty train Austin for a year (maybe not that long but it seems like it). At some point I decided to stop trying because I was getting closer to having this baby. But I'm going to get back at it this summer, maybe a little more hard core than before. But anyways, those are my thoughts. You don't know if something will work unless you try it, and there is always an adjustment period when changing something with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the answer to your problems!!! Zip-up footie jammies: cut the feet out (and the arms, too, if it's too hot) and put them on BACKWARDS! They won't be able to take them off! That's the only thing that worked for my niece. I've never had that problem with Caleb...he's so delayed in the clothing removal/self help category that his feeding therapist asked me if we wanted to do some IFSP goals regarding that...haha! No way! I think it's a great thing to be delayed in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my two cents...take it for what it's worth...but I would put off potty training a bit longer. From how you make it sound they are taking off their diapers more for play then for sheer discomfort and irritation. Lots of kids don't like to be in dirty diapers, but that doesn't mean they're ready to be potty trained yet...for me my biggest fear with potty training was that it would last forever. We waited till Nathan had just turn 3 (granted he has some medical issues which pushed it back) but it literally took 2 days- so easy- much better then other people I've talked to who did it earlier.
    I would recommend the pj switcheroo, put it on backwards, or find some onsies they can't take off.
    We switched Nathan into his toddler bed when he was 22 months old and had no problems- we also had no toys or a cool brother in his room, but I really focused on teaching him from a really early age that his crib/bed were not a place for play. I would get him out pretty quickly but not immediately when he got up in the mornings and after nap- no toys or extras in there except for his blankets (which I know doesn't work for everyone but has been such a great blessing that he goes down, even now, without any sort of fight or problem. I literally put him in bed and he doesn't get out to play with any of his toys- he knows it's bed time).
    Also, they could be playing so much because they're aren't super tired. I would try moving nap time a bit later and really trying to wear them out during the morning and see if that helps. If nothing else works I would try putting them in separate rooms for nap time if they are just egging each other on until they learn that nap time really isn't play time.
    Also, I'm assuming you've invested in a bunch of sheets. The best thing is putting 2 or more layers of sheets on the mattress with waterproof mattress pads in between each layer. That way when one get dirty (from poo, pee, throw-up...anything) I just take off the sheet and the next mattress pad and one is all ready to go. I only have the hassle of making the bed occasionally...this is especially helpful in the middle of the night. You might also do this already but take the mattress out of the crib when you make the bed- it's about 10 billion times easier to make the bed that way then with it still in the crib.
    Phew- that was long, but good luck! Sometimes being a mom is just so hard! Just do what you feel is best and forget everyone else's advice (including mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never had this problem so I am in no way an expert, but I agree with the backwards jammies I would wait until baby comes to potty train. Kids sometimes regress when a new sibling is born and that could be very frustrating with a newborn! Every kid is different, though so if you think your boys are ready go for it! If you do, just do a method that works for you and your kids. Everyone will tell you their method is the awesome, and they did this and that and it worked so well, but like i said, all kids are different so what works with one won't necessarily work for another. Anyway, backwards jammies! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One more thought..you could rub their noses in it..mark did that with his dog and said we'd do that to ty if needs be. :)

    ReplyDelete