Thursday, January 29, 2009
Why do they call it an oral exam? I'm not in dental school, people.
The oral exam consists of three professors (my committee) grilling me on all sorts of subjects from all my coursework. Okay, not really grilling, they were pretty nice about it. But it's three against one, I felt a little ganged up upon.
Oh, and I answered vocally. Hence, "oral" exam. I guess it sort of makes sense.
It was today. And I passed! Hallelujah! All that's left is getting all my data, writing my thesis, and defending it. Piece of cake. A giant, ultra-dense, mega-chocolatey, uber moist piece of cake.
Speaking of data gathering. These are my data monkeys.
So they're not monkeys, they're mice. But look at them climb!
They're cute little buggers. And they liiiike alcohol. Well, some of them do. It depends on their genotype. Which provides me with fanTAstic data.
'80s high school portrait time! Poor guy, no one should be in a picture that looks so silly. Silly mousy.
They are curious little cats. I mean mice. Anti-cats.
Thanks to Photoshop for assisting me in this presentation. For comparative purposes, see original photo below.
Ah, photoshop, what would I do without ye?
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Thursday, January 22, 2009
My first task: figure out how to work Photoshop. Thank goodness for video tutorials!
Here's a quick first attempt, mostly getting rid of a little forehead shine and burning the edges a bit. But it does feature my mom's gift, what a cute bag! Made by her visiting teaching companion. What talent!
This may now become a forum for my photoshop prowess progress. Warning, this may take some patience on your part!
Anyone catch LOST last night? Wowser, that'll twist my mind around for a while!
"What is it?"
"What does it do?"
"It... points north, John."
(HAHAHA, the first time I wrote that quote, I typed "It... tells time, John." Ha, guess it's not so obvious)
Friday, January 16, 2009
Not to mention wax.
Are you ready to behold?
Aren't those just the cutest, most fun things you've every seen?? Sean loved he's depicted as a doctor. I love that I'll be eternally gazing at his glorious visage.
I especially love the feet, they're the cutest part.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
1. Started your own blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a Meteor Shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland (Disneyworld is so the place to be)
8. Climbed a Mountain (maybe not all the way to the top...)
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables (Green BEANS!)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a Lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Run a Marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse (I think...)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (that should be all the time, shouldn't it?)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (and swallowed a gallon of sea water)
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie (a teeny tiny class project movie, but that still counts)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business (we made and sold paper cranes in elementary school. The teacher got mad when she found out)
58. Taken a martial arts class -self defense, taught by a martial arts guy. I say it half counts.
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (when I was a girl scout for about 6 months)
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma- I tried and almost fainted
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job (they ran out of work for me, it's not like I was a bad employee, okay?)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle- mom would NOT like that!
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book- but I'm an author on a paper that's to be published soon!
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper (gathered the most food for a food drive, booya!)
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury- got called up for duty in IL when I wasn't a resident there anymore.
91. Met someone famous (my favorite one was JK Rowling. And she talked to me!)
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake- and it's so close...
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
So, 44 out of 99... that's kind of pathetic. I'll work on it.