Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Which I Complain About Sleep Again

(Photos by Sean which I've thrown in here to give a little light-heartedness amongst my stream of complaints, but don't correlate to the text beyond the fact that both are about my children.)

Sigh. Sleeping is all messed up again. I hardly have any control over it, why do I let it affect me so?

We had been doing so well, too. For several weeks, they'd been sleeping until 7 or 7:30, making that about a 12-hour night! Even if the nap was just an hour and a half each day (I'm still waiting on the regular 2-3 hour naps everyone promised when they switched to one nap...), I'll take a nice long stretch at night. Especially since I seem physically incapable of going to bed before midnight (yes, you don't have to point out that I'm holding a complete double standard when I expect my kids to sleep well when I don't. I know it.) so that meant I got more sleep too. We had gotten into a really good rhythm and I really liked it.

IMG_4434e
Meet One-Shoed Dash, the famed boxer. Here he is displaying his amazing feinting technique.

But Sean's parents and brother came into town for a couple days (posts to come!) late last week and the schedule got all screwy. They stayed up late, were woken up too early, had an interrupted nap, and now they can't seem to get their sleep groove back on (don't worry Bradleys, I dont' blame you). Every morning starts at 6:20 or earlier (how I shudder when I see the clock face begin with a 5) and every morning I hope they go back to sleep. And every morning they don't. Instead of 12-hour nights, they get 10 to 10.5 and the difference is definitely not made up in their naps.

IMG_4433e
Meet One-Shoed Liam, the brilliant but absent-minded doctor. "Where'd I put that stethoscope again?"

This problem is certainly exacerbated by the fact that's there's two of them. In all the books, they claim that twins are going to be awesome sleepers because they learn to sleep through the noise of their twin. BZZZ, wrong. Take Monday morning, for instance. Liam wakes up at 5:50 crying, a sure sign he's still tired and wants to go back to sleep. It takes 20-30 minutes though for him to do so. 20 minutes of Liam crying off and on wakes up Dash, who is babbling, a good sign (though not certain) that he's up for good. I cross my fingers that maybe he'll still go back to sleep; maybe Liam's crying will be contagious and make Dash fall asleep, too. After an age of crying, Liam finally falls silent. Asleep, perhaps? I think. Dash is still babbling and starts talking loudly, flopping all around his crib. After ten minutes, I hear Liam give a whimper- he's back awake. The sun's up by now so I throw in the towel. After beating up my pillow first. It's frustrating business.

IMG_4438e
So that's where all the milk went.

I'm trying to restore their schedule but so far it's not taking. But even if they did, it'd just change anyway, since Sean starts his OB/GYN rotation next week, which has crazy hours. So they'll probably wake up with his alarm no matter my efforts. Not to mention that daylight savings is around they corner. What once was a blessed gift of an extra hour of sleep is now the bane of my existence. The kids don't know to sleep for an extra hour. So now they'll wake up at 5 instead of 6. [Retch] I've been wracking my brain to figure out a way to convince this nation to get rid of this silly daylight savings practice. No luck yet.

Huff. I needed to get that out of my system. Hopefully things will improve soon. They need more sleep and I need them to sleep. Maybe I'll ask them one more time, real real sweet with lots of kisses. Maybe then they'll agree. Fingers crossed.

8 comments:

  1. This might not be totally pc, or medically correct, but I wonder if a small dose of melatonin one night would help reset their clocks? Maybe ask your doc or see if Sean can look into it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bum deal Katie! I hope it gets better! Having visitors (which is awesome) always throws off routines. Avery took tons of naps yesterday (probably recovering from us running around Indianpolis for 2 days!) which resulted in her waking up FIVE times last night. Which of course means she is in the middle of a 3 hour nap now...we'll see what tonight holds.

    Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the Daylight savings time...I'd vote to get rid of it in a heartbeat! I can't imagine the frustration of sleep issues with twins. Do you have a white noise maker in their room? We have air purifiers in the kids' rooms that serve the same purpose and that may at least keep them from being woken up by Sean's alarm. Good luck! Sleep makes all the difference in our lives :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another thought...could you put on of them to sleep in a pack n play in a separate part of the house, just till they get back on schedule again and then put them back in their room together?
    Just keep putting them down when they are supposed to sleep and hopefully they'll readjust soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you find a secret let me know! I'm dying over here at my house. I've even considered the melatonin too, but after reading about it, I'm not too sure. From what I read it's supposed to help them fall asleep better, but not necessarily keep them asleep which is our problem. Maybe Sean would more insight though. Sorry I'm no help, but obviously I haven't found any answers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something's wrong with me too - I almost never get to bed before midnight! Why?! I want to, but I also want to get things done while Olivia is asleep. I'm sure you understand all too well. And I totally forgot about Daylight Savings!! Why is it just when you think you've got a good routine going, it has to get all messed up? Good luck!! My fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh little boys...hopefully someday they're learn! (ps...after no nap Sunday, Ty took a 3.5 hour nap Monday...then no nap Tuesday and 3.5 hour nap today. Just a little company for your misery :) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sleep has been awful over at our house for the last week or so too. I'm dreading daylight savings! In the spring, L wasn't sleeping at ALL so it didn't make a difference, but oh man I dread Sunday. As for me? I NEVER go to bed before midnight either. It's usually closer to 1...sigh, I have got to fix my bad habits.

    ReplyDelete