Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Choices

IMG_4350e
You can do things one way...

IMG_4355e
...Or you can try a different approach.

Sean had a meeting this week and realized he's going to have to make some choices very soon. In the next, mmm, eight or so months, he has to decide in which medical field he's going to specialize.

You know, no big deal.

The problems lies in the fact that Sean is interested in everything. And he's really good at everything (except maybe kidneys. But that's okay, that's one he's already eliminated. Heh, that's kind of a kidney joke, isn't it?). So it's really hard for him to narrow in on one specialty without missing something that another specialty would offer.

Sean just finished up his internal medicine rotation. He really enjoyed the diversity of cases he encountered. You really have to think on your feet in that field. But those 6-day-weeks were brutal on me and we only had to live through it for a couple months- as an intern, that's how it is for a whole year!

So internal medicine is in the mix. He's also really liked ophthalmology (eyes are cool), urology (surprisingly, it's one of the most technologically progressive medical fields), and radiology (good hours, uses his knowledge of physics, and is in the same vein as his love for maps. Plus he exhibits quite a knack for reading images.) Pathology may intrigue him but he hasn't had a chance to experience it yet. Not to mention he may want to narrow even further into a pediatric version of all the aforementioned.

With all this tumbling around in his head, you could say he's a little overwhelmed. How do I ever decide?! he keeps asking me. A whole lot of thinking and praying, I'd say.





IMG_4362e
But no matter what Sean chooses, these boys (and this girl) will always be there to back him up and support him.

3 comments:

  1. We know exactly how you guys feel! We have basically the same conversation everyday. Good luck, let us know what you guys have life figure out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine the decision...probably because I can't imagine going to school that long in the first place :-). I just laugh to remember I started out college thinking I would be off to med school as well. Yeah, it only took me one semester of college to change my mind :-). I'm sure you guys will pick the perfect area of specialty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Sean!! I'm sure Danny feels for you :)

    ReplyDelete