Friday, August 28, 2009

YimLeej?

As of yesterday, Sean's been home from his LDS mission for three years. To commemorate the occasion, I thought it was about time that I explained a little something about this blog. A little something called the URL.

http://yimleej.blogspot.com/

Yimleej? It looks like some sort of code, as if trying to say "Why I'm Lee J." What does that have to do with us? Let me 'splain.

Sean served his mission in Minnesota, specifically working with the Hmong people, speaking the Hmong language. When he first arrived in Minneapolis/St. Paul, a family met with him and, after some careful thought, gave him a hmong name. That name? Vaj YimLeej . That's pronounced Va Yee' Lang ('=glottal stop). Vaj is a clan name, while YimLeej means Eight People. Apparently some great warrior of some sort is his namesake. So that's special.

Sean went by that name for two years. He still thinks of himself as YimLeej. So, when Sean set up this blog, the name naturally become the identifying web address.

Is it all a bit clearer to you now?

Good. Now I'm going to get back to reminiscing about three years ago, when I waited and waited and waited by the phone. And finally, after being apart for two years, was able to hear his sweet voice again. Mmm...

5 comments:

  1. Awww..I didn't know you waited for him! Cute. BTW...I showed some of your pics to Mark. They make us both sick! Someday maybe we'll learn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you waited for him and that it all worked out...so cute :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to know that he was worth waiting for!!! Is yimleej thinking back as well those long 3 years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you waited for me! You're a sweetie! BTW, Yimleej was an invincible awesome warrior of coolness. Bullets would bounce off him, knives couldn't cut him. Sounds a lot like Chuck Norris, and me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great name to have on a mission! Are you two familiar with the book "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman? If you haven't read it, I think you may enjoy it. It's a good book for any medical student, and probably even more interesting for you, since you know the Hmong people well.

    ReplyDelete