Thursday, January 26, 2012

Panel of Experts: Dinner and Books

1) What the heck do you guys do during dinner prep time? My goodness, the second I step into the kitchen to get dinner ready, at least one boys storms in whining. No matter if I've been playing with them since nap time, no matter if they were in the middle of a super-absorbing plaything, no matter if they just had a magnificent snack- they're always mad when I start making dinner. They especially want to be picked up, which doesn't work with most dinner prep activities (i.e. knife wielding). It especially doesn't work when both want to be picked up.

If Sean's home, it helps a ton since he'll play with them, though they still wander in from time to time for my attention. And Sean isn't always home to help. Soooooo... what kind of things work for you? I'm all ears for any suggestion!

2) Like I mentioned a few days ago, Liam and Dash often cannot stand sharing a parent, especially a parent's lap. Anyone have any good ideas on how to resolve that issue? It is getting a little bit better, maybe it'd just go away with time?

IMG_7789e
Okay, so sometimes they do share.

3) Do you guys have any parenting book suggestions? Books of any sort- how to raise a toddler, potty training,  time management, etc. If there's any book out there that's been helpful to you, do share!

5 comments:

  1. Luke doe the same thing when I start to make dinner. It's ridiculous! I now bring in our step stool and put it up at the counter. He climbs up and watches and usually stays pretty happy. I sometimes have to give him a snack or something from the kitchen to play with, but for the most part he just likes being around whatever I'm doing. I guess in your case though you would need two step stools :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia hates it when I make dinner too, or do dishes for that matter. Very frustrating! I'm open for tips too. It's almost like the kitchen symbolizes abandonment for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they get a little older you can send them into the backyard to play, which is what I do most often now. But when the weather is bad I let Preston pick out a show to watch. By the time the 30 minutes is over most of the prep work is usually done. I used to try to get the chopping done during nap time when he was younger, even though it's hard to give up that precious alone time :-). No suggestions on books. I read the five love languages of children over the summer and LOVED it, but it's more applicable once they are older. I think most of it just come from trial and error based on each child's unique personality. I can't imagine how much harder it is with two at once though! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this book isn't really about how-to parent, but I think that "What Mothers Do (especially when it looks like nothing)" is one of the greatest books ever written for parents.
    I would highly suggest it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started "The Toddler Whisperer" (I think that's the title, but it's by the Baby Whisperer lady). She's really good and I agree with her parenting philosophy. And it helps me to feel like my kid is normal and teachable:) This age can be a toughy. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete