Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Smorgasbord

1) Whenever I use my sewing machine, the stitches always end up like this:
IMG_5461e
Why? My only guess is that maybe I'm pulling on the far end without realizing it? It's really annoying. And makes for weak stitches.

2) This is one of my biggest life mysteries. Almost invariably, my shirts look like this:
IMG_5459e
I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that at least 60% of the shirts I wear will have a couple of little holes in the front, bottom center of the garment within the second or third wearing. Do you know how infuriating it is to put on a nearly new shirt and find holes? And I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing them. I don't notice myself pulling down on that area of the shirt, I've never seen myself zip that part of the shirt into a zipper, I don't go around catching my stomach on sharp objects... I'm stumped? Many of Sean's shirts have suffered the same fate. This has been going on for years and years and years. Does ANYONE have any clue what's happening?

3) Houston has some crazy roads. I believe I see no less than seven overpasses here:
IMG_4789e
(You better believe that the gross tarp hanging out of the truck in front of us splattered some nasty dark liquid all over our windshield). Sometimes it's hard for my brain to understand driving when it involves several large highways. I'm used to just one big road, you know? One thing I do like, though, is all the U-turns. It was super confusing when we first moved to Texas (the left turn lane suddenly became a U-turn lane!) but once we got used to it, we realized how beautiful it was to have so much frontage road along the highways, so many access points to the highway, and a great way to avoid a light. I always plan for the u-turn if it means I'll skip a light. I can drive back from Hobby Lobby without hitting a single one!

4) I love my boys and their brains:
IMG_5181e

And their cute hands:
IMG_5164e

Over and out.

6 comments:

  1. The holes in the shirt are mysterious indeed. I'd blame your washer/dryer except those haven't been consistent for years and the holes have been. You should probably blame Pogo.

    But the first one, the loopy thread, I'm all over (I think). Looks like your tension is off between your thread and your bobbin. You should have a little knob somewhere you can adjust that will fix it. Look in your manual/the interwebs if you can't find the dial, and then just play with it until you get nice even stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do solve the hole in the shirt mystery I'll make you dinner! I have lots of shirts like that too and have never been able to figure out why. Mine are usually on the bottom but over to the side. Bizzaro. And we love the Houston U-turns too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The u-turns were one of the first things we noticed when visiting Houston. Great idea in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the same holes too! I'm pretty sure it's from my metal belt buckles and leaning against the counter. I started noticing it most when I was working in the lab...and leaning against the lab bench while doing stuff...wearing one belt with sharper corners particularly often. I guess it's what we get for pulling our shirts down instead of tucking them in like the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Check the tension.
    2. Washing machine?
    3. Those overpasses are scary.
    4. Cute, brainy boys, indeed!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI there--I'm a mom blogger in Maine who just happened by your blog. . .I have a friend who swears that small holes in shirts are caused by not zipping the zippers on pants, esp jeans. In the washer and dryer the open zippers get hooked on fabris and make little holes. I zip all pants now.
    Bobbin tension is off I think...
    Allison

    ReplyDelete