Monday, November 21, 2011

Nursery

Yes, the boys are now 18+ months old, the magical age in Mormondom when little children get to go to nursery. Stake Conference was last week so yesterday was their initiatory attendance. I'd say, it was a hit!

As much as I was looking forward to this new stage (I can do all my church responsibilities without keeping 80% of my brain focused on my two curious children), I was really nervous too. I mean, who are these people, these nursery leaders? I've hardly let anyone watch these kids besides family, and suddenly I'm going to hand over my precious cargo for two hours?

I stayed the entire time, trying to hang back a little bit, helping out here and there. You can probably imagine how they enjoyed all the new toys and little kids with whom to play. I even left for a minute and they seemed all right when I returned, just a bit nervous. When a situation arose that I would have handled differently arose, I had to just let it go, not everyone thinks like I do. When Liam got pummeled over by a kid who had been repeatedly warned to not pummel, I had to just accept the fact that things like that happen (I mean, I think the kid was just really excitedly giving hugs).

They're definitely going to have to get used to sitting at a table for longer stretches, not eating crayons, and accepting that most kids are not awesome sharers. They only had a couple cries each- when someone kept them from playing with their desired toy and when the toys were put away (oh, and when Liam got hurt). That's pretty good for the first day, right?

And I brought my camera and everything and completely forgot to take a picture of this momentous occasion. I kick myself. So you'll have to settle for these goofy pictures from my 50 mm lens that no longer focuses properly (yes, I cried a little bit when that was discovered):
IMG_5694e
Dash channeling E.T.

IMG_5696e
Liam turning contemplative.

I think the boys are excited to go back. If for nothing else but the bubbles.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for nursery! Seriously one of the best milestones for a baby to reach :-)! Although they learn some not so nice things from the older kids sometimes, and get sick a lot at first from the new germs, it is exciting to introduce our little ones to the world (and get some freedom ourselves)! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete