Friday, October 12, 2012

Toddler Beds

I almost wrote about this yesterday and I'm so glad I waited a day. Because if I wrote it yesterday, it would have been the rantings of a crazy woman. Now it's just the grumblings of a frustrated lady, that's a bit better.

So, thing's aren't completely perfect here in the Bradley homestead. Yes, Sean's home. Yes, Grey is a sweetheart of a baby. Yes, the boys are awesome big brothers. BUT they are also being very frustrating sons. You see, about two weeks ago, Liam and Dash figured out how to climb out of their cribs. Well, they already figured out how months ago, they just decided to implement the skill repeatedly. We hoped it was a phase but after several days of boys popping into our room, we had to take action.

We converted their cribs into toddler beds. The first night was great, probably because it was so new and exciting. We just had to get them back in their beds a couple times and then they slept.

That was a fluke. From that point on, they pop out of their beds and play play play instead of sleep. I think they've napped twice this week. They're up way late at night. They wake up extra early. I estimate that they've had 3-5 hours LESS sleep each day. That's huge. I don't think it'd be such a big deal if there weren't two of them- there's always a playmate around to either goad or be goaded by.

IMG_4059e
Why did this have to happen when we have an itty bitty infant? When I'm getting the least sleep and desperately need a quiet naptime? The worst of it is that they get so cranky. They obviously need more sleep than they're getting. The tiniest things set them off. They did wake up sick one morning (and cuddled really cutely, as pictured above) and I thought maybe that might be a little bit of the source of the problem but it hasn't gone away with the illness.

Honestly, it's probably an unconscious tactic to seek more attention. As happy as they seem with the new baby, they probably feel a little funny about all the change. Plus, they probably didn't want to miss out on the action, having Grey and grandparents around.

So there was a week of horror filled with cranky two-year olds and cranky parents. But yesterday, we wore them out (i.e. gave them heat exhaustion) at the park, then I planted myself in their room... and they stayed in their beds... and they took a nap! Then I planted myself in their room again for bedtime... and they stayed in their beds. Until they asked to go to the potty. What am I supposed to do? I let them. After a second, uneventful bathroom trip, I made them stay in their beds, which lead to crying, which lead to sleep. An hour past bedtime.

So tell me, how do I get these boys to sleep and not play? How do I fix this? Maybe we're on to something with yesterday's strategy and we'll be all set after the weekend. We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe try taking all the toys out of their room? We had to turn Jackson's doorknob around and lock him in so he would stop coming out. It sounds mean but it's a lot less mean than me getting frustrated and angry at him every night :) now he doesn't try to get out anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm..remember how we did this in May? We're still having issues. He would oddly take naps fine (probably b/c he was up so late) but get out a million times at night. He recently stopped taking naps so when I put him to bed at 7:30, he falls right asleep. I am still debating locking him in for naptime (we tried a handle and he'd sob himself to sleep by the door til he figured out how to take it off) but if he takes a nap, then he's up at night. Now I know why people say keep them in their cribs as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preston was doing this over the summer and we did sticker chart to earn a Little Einsteins DVD because he is obsessed with them. It was not a miracle fix but it did help encourage him to stay in bed and he has done better since. If he had a buddy in the room I am sure it would be a different story though!

    ReplyDelete