Monday, April 12, 2010

Twinsies

**Warning: this post contains the word "uterus" and the like, so feel free to skip it if that sort of topic aint yo thang.

Speaking of lack of pictures, our camera is on the fritz. Well, it's supposed to be fixed and on the way back here by now. The darn thing started giving me an error code after every few pictures and eventually stopped turning on at all. Luckily, this all happened two weeks before the warranty ended. But I tell you, I've been a little extra worried that our babies were going to show up and we'd be without a camera. What a thing to worry about!

So since we're pictureless, how about I tell you the story of how we found out we were having twins. Sounds fun to me!

I was pretty nervous for our first obstetrician's appointment. I had already been in there to do a blood test to confirm pregnancy- see, when we took the at home test, the control line didn't show up too well. Observe:

IMG_7530e
Hey, I did put in a picture! Anyway, that horizontal line was just so faint. So I wanted to make sure I actually was pregnant but was too cheap to go get a new test (I know, I'm a weirdo). And that's why I had already done a blood test at our obstetrician's office, which confirmed our happy hopes!

But I already had a kernel of doubt. I little piece of my brain worried they'd do an ultrasound at seven weeks and find nothing. It didn't help that Glee had featured just that sort of thing.

But lo and behold, the ultrasound found a little fetus! The PA who was performing the test took all the measurements while Sean and I exchanged loving gazes and a few happy tears. She showed us the baby's fluttering little heart and finished up by checking out the general health of my uterus.

She came back to the heart and I saw her give me an odd side-ways look. So I immediately start thinking something's wrong. Sean didn't notice the look and remains a happy-go-lucky soon-to-be daddio.

After doing a little more ultrasound surveying, the PA starts to explain, "alright, here's your baby's heart." A little more moving, "and here... is another heart."

A moment of processing...

"You're having twins."



My initial reaction: "Really." Delivered straight, hardly any inflection at all. Honestly, I was feeling sweet relief- that look didn't mean anything bad at all, it meant something doubly great! But the surprise counteracted the relief into a sort of neutrality.

Sean's initial reaction: Excitement. But so struck with shock that he couldn't say anything for a moment. He hadn't seen the PA's funny look a minute before, after all, he wasn't expecting any new information.

But recovering quickly, Sean pops out little "wow"s and "twins?!" while a second set of measurements were taken, as he watched wide-eyed. I don't think I ever had a moment of utter shock. Just a growing sense of surreality. And happiness.

I walked into the doctor's office that day worried the doctor would find an empty uterus but walked out knowing we had twice the baby! What a doubly fantastic day.

2 comments:

  1. That's such a great story! I hope your camera is all better and ready to perform it's important duty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to hear the story :-)! And I think it's especially fun that you are having 2 little boys...little buddies!

    ReplyDelete