Monday, March 18, 2013

What Match Day Was Really Like

IMG_8655e
On Match Day, we were able to take the whole crew to the school.

IMG_8656e
They had us arrive an hour early and we spent the time talking with friends, eating food, go crazy with anticipation.

IMG_8658e
They held it in a big courtyard that had lots of room to play.

IMG_8663e
See? Playing.

IMG_8668e
I think Liam and Dash were unnerved by the large crowd, they were rather subdued. Maybe they were just to anxious to hear where daddy matched.

Then they had a big board full of everyone's envelopes that they uncovered at 11am sharp. Sean went up there (with Dash. And there was an envelope near for someone who's last name was Dash. Dash was quick to point it out.) to fetch it and brought it back out of the crowd. And then he opened it...

I didn't even get a chance to see the word "Minnesota" before Sean yelled it out and started celebrating. 

IMG_8672e
It was his first choice- he'd served his mission there and was anxious to go to a place he loved and to put his hmong language skills to use. And as anxious as we were to find out where he'd matched, we were both pretty sure it'd be there. They showed him great enthusiasm when interviewing, sent letters, and even called. "Hey, just saying hi." Or something like that. But Sean didn't want to get his hopes up too high for fear of getting disappointed. 'Twas nothing to fear! I'm so proud and excited for him!

IMG_8720e
Then we came home and did this. Know anyone looking for a home in Houston?

5 comments:

  1. Katie! I'm so excited for you guys. I love the Twin Cities! On our Match Day a couple years ago I was so nervous that morning, I felt sick. When we opened our envelope we were totally shocked at where we were going to be going. It was one of our top picks but we didn't really anticipate going there. It has been the biggest blessing for us. Such a great program and a great place to live. Anyway. This time of year makes me nostalgic. It's such an exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I've been up in the Twin Cities all year doing my Montessori training. This area is really awesome! I can see why Sean likes it. If you're considering a Montessori preschool next year, give me a holler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I don't know anything about Montessori schools except for what I just read on Wikipedia. But that does sound interesting- what can you tell me about it? Are you still in the Twin Cities?

      Delete
  3. Congrats. That is such a huge accomplishment. As long as medical school/residency is such a long process, it's nice when you can at least be happy about the locations you end up in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a crazy day! It seems so far away for us :) I'm so glad things went your way! Congrats again!! And good luck selling your house. Seems like it has served you all well :)

    ReplyDelete