Monday, June 11, 2012

Surprise, Sean!

Sean and I had planned on waiting until I had finished grad school, he'd started med school, and I'd gotten a job before we tried for our first pregnancy. It just made logistical sense. That meant in September 2009, we'd "let the games begin," as it were. But at the beginning of that year, we were both hit with a desire to start trying to conceive then. We thought about it and prayed about it and both felt really good about starting the journey earlier than planned. Logistics schmlogistics.

But then it took much longer to conceive than expected. And so each month, Sean was just as anxious as I to see if our fate changed. That's why this day was so ridiculously joyful. And you know what's funny, it really did work out logistically perfect- I had graduated, Sean had started med school, and I did get a job. All of which allowed us to get a house and some savings so we could afford two kids in one pop. It's as though we were guided to start the attempt early since it was going to take a while. 

So when we decided we were ready for another little one, we didn't expect anything to happen for a bit. And when I started suspecting that something was up two months later, I was surprised. Now, I told Sean about every suspicion the first time around. After the boys were born, Sean randomly mentioned that it'd be fun to be "surprised" with a pregnancy. This time, I kept it to myself. And I took this picture without him around:
IMG_7436e
I was the only person in the whole world who knew I was pregnant at that point. That felt pretty bizarre. And I was pretty shocked- this time it happened so easily!

Oh, I should also mention, I WAS SO HAPPY!

Now, how to tell Sean. I had to go grocery shopping that night so I thought I'd think about it on the drive. I tell you, going in to tell Sean (who was then busy studying for the STEP test in the guest room) that I was heading out, all while exploding with the knowledge that I was pregnant... that was not easy. I'm so not good at playing it cool. But I somehow made it out without raising any flags.

Nothing at the store inspired me, no cute "big brother" shirts I could buy or anything. So I decided on a little video camera set-up. I bought him his favorite Ghiradelli raspeberry filled chocolate squares and then, back at home (he thankfully hadn't heard me come in), laid them on top of this:
IMG_7439e
Yes, I tied my positive pregnancy test to the camera and hid that with the chocolate bag, all in a box. Not a very fancy surprise but I couldn't think creatively because I was bursting with excitedness. I put the box on the bed, planned on calling Sean down, and geared myself up. But of course, I heard Sean hurrying toward our room before I was really ready. Luckily he headed right toward the bathroom. I quickly/sneakily turned the camera on as he came back in the room and directed him toward the chocolates I had bought him. 

He grabbed the bag, noticed something underneath it and... pulled out the pregnancy test and dropped the camera. So listen in on his reaction:
Oh man, he was so surprised. The possibility that we were pregnant was not even on his radar. My favorite part was, after his initial moment of shock, he said, "... congratulations..." as if I was some distant acquaintance he was greeting. He was just so stunned.

But here's his genuinely super happy face as he first realized what that pregnancy test meant:
IMG_7442e

IMG_7443e
He was so happy and giggly after that. And I was so glad to share my burning secret! Surprise, Sean, you're going to be a dad again!

3 comments:

  1. You guys are so cute:) This made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way of telling him! Nate was right there with me each time we had a positive pregnancy test, which is good, because I'm not very creative. :)

    And we also felt like we should try sooner than we thought to have our first baby. Literally, less than 2 months after getting married. And then, 15 months later, I was pregnant! And 6 months after that, we had a baby! Crazy how things work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited for the video! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete