Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Key Differences

People ask me all the time how I tell Liam and Dash apart. Well it's easy, they look completely different! But not everyone thinks so. When I think about it, there are a few key differences that I think this picture highlights:
IMG_1512e
Liam: Left, Dash: Right

Headshape
Liam has a much more rounded head. If you ran your hand all around his hair, it'd feel like one continuous curve. Dash has a more angled head. You can see how the top of his head is almost squared off. Because of this head shape, I think it gives Dash a slightly taller forehead.

Cheeks
Liam has soft, squishy cheeks that hang lower than Dash's, who's cheeks are a bit leaner (though both are fantastically kissable). This makes Liam more likely to sport a cute double chin.

Eyebrows
I haven't determined yet if there is a true anatomical difference, but Liam's eyebrows often look closer together than Dash's. Maybe he just furrows his brow more.

Lips
Jut as with the eyebrows, this might be more of a behavioral thing, but Dash's bottom lip is usually thinner/less pronounced than Liam's.

Hair
Their hair's pretty much the same except back bottom edge. Dash's hair bends to his left along the whole edge, while Liam's comes to a point on the left side. You can see it in this picture.

Eyes
People often think Dash looks sleepy because the bags under his eyes are a little fuller.

Birthmark
Liam still has the little strawberry mark on his forehead, though it's faded a bit. This is most people's fallback. However, as each child is almost guaranteed to model a bump or two atop their heads these days, it's a rather unreliable differential.

There, easy peasy! You can always tell the difference now, right? Totally!

(But in case you can't, I always label which child is which in the Flickr description. So you just click on a picture if you're wondering and you can find out!)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that picture of the two of them! They are both definitely handsome little guys :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I always wondered how you tell your little guys apart. Methinks I might refer back to this blog entry as I try to figure out who's who in future posts (because going to Flickr is cheating!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are too cute! And you're right, they have a lot of differences! It'll just be hard for me to keep them straight unless I have a list in front of me. :)

    BTW, when you were visiting, Sean said that Dash had the dot on his forehead! He said, "Dash: Dot." So I called Liam Dash the whole time, until the end when I heard you two using the correct names. I was embarrassed. :)

    ReplyDelete