Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Party Party

What's a birthday without a party? Boring. A boring birthday just won't do for our special little one-year-olds. So a party was had!

First Birthday Invitations censored
I feel a pinch of pride for these invitations, mostly because I think that the flame looks so awesome. Cue head inflation.

IMG_8519e
It's incredible how busy I felt the week leading up to the party as I bought groceries with the boys in tow, cleaned the house (minus the big pile of stuff that now resides in our bedroom), prepped the yard, finally bought and hung curtains, made food, made decorations... whew, I feel tired thinking about it again.

IMG_8520e
As tiring as it was, it was really fun to get a party ready for my special boys and to have our friends over to celebrate. Too bad I didn't notice that our table of food was totally off-center from the wall display. Whoops. Can you see the cupcakes? My first attempt at piping! Oh, also, most of the action photographed occurred in the dreaded Yellow Zone of our house, where all photographs taken within have a horrid yellow cast. Please forgive any ugly photos.

IMG_8597e
I tried my hand at making some pennant banners- I liked how they turned out but it took a lot longer to do than expected. I'm sure that had nothing to do with my extreme sewing naivete. I won't even mention how many times I had to ask Sean how to do things on the sewing machine. He's my husband. A male. Who knows how to sew better than I do. I'm not insecure about my femininity because of it. Not at all. Waaah.

IMG_8608e
I also made some pompoms! I've had the supplies for 10 months to make some for the boys room. At least I finally found the motivation!

IMG_8513e
I think everyone had a nice low-key time at the party. We had a lovely smattering of guests from our old church ward, our current church ward, Sean's classmates, and my brother's family. Liam and Dash quite enjoyed following the older kids around. They were probably amazed at how fast they could move on their feet! I hardly took any pictures of guests between watching kids, eating, feeding kids, and chatting. We're so grateful to all those that came!

Now on to the main event! The Cupcake Attack!
IMG_8533e
The most sugar-filled serving of food he's ever been offered was just placed before him and Liam thinks it's a good time for a little sip of water.

IMG_8531e
Conversely, after a moments hestitation, Dash jumps right in.

IMG_8544e
Liam tries a little lick of frosting. Don't want to get all messy, do you, Liam?

IMG_8547e
Dash DOES want to get messy! And for good reason, that's yummy cake!

IMG_8554e
Liam spies the voracity with which Dash is consuming his birthday treat.

IMG_8560e
Dash isn't slowing down. Shovel it all in!

IMG_8566e
Taking his brother's cue, Liam finally gets down to business.

IMG_8573e
Scratch that, Dash is getting down to business. He is getting the job d.o.n.e. (also, see the nice injury on Dash's forehead? It bares a striking resemblance to the little birthmark on Liam's head, which many people use to tell the difference between the boys. So everyone was all thrown off.)

IMG_8585e
Liam decides for a different approach: the chest smear. (I promise he's not nekked. There's diaper on in there)

IMG_8579e
They have cake and they're not afraid to eat it.

In case you wanted to see them in action. (Video: Birthday Cake)

The final faces:
IMG_8592e
Dash with his cake war paint.

IMG_8594e
Liam and his cake five-o'clock shadow.

I think they liked it. And we certainly enjoyed their first sugar crash later on that evening. I didn't photograph it but it looked something like this:
IMG_8286e
It's their party and they can can cry if they want to. But I don't think we'll be giving them a whole cupcake any time soon. That first time sure was tasty, wasn't it, boy-o's? Happy birthday party!

5 comments:

  1. How cute! Had to smile and chuckle as I read thru your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So darling. Can't believe they are one. You're invitations are amazing. So talented, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it was so fun and the decorations were super cute too! Way to go! I wish we could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are such cute little guys! Love the post. Your decorations look great! You ought to post another picture of those pom poms. I'm curious to see more of them! Looks like a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Katie! You went all out and did a fabulous job! I also want to see another picture of the pom poms. How did you make your pennant banner? I've been meaning to make one too! Or several actually...and I've only touched the sewing machine once since Landon's been born. Yikes! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete