Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A List of Six

IMG_6784e
1) One of my favorite simple memories is when the boys were sick. Back at Easter, Sean had a miraculous three day weekend, so I was determined to get the yard fixed up then. Even when Liam got sick on Thursday, I wouldn't let it stop me. Friday we set off to Home Depot for some supplies. Liam was a bit better but Dash was just starting to get the brunt of the illness. After hanging around the hot, outdoor Gardening section a while, I could tell Dash was just feeling miserable. So the boys and I headed back indoors while Sean finished up. I found a little patio set to sit in and pulled Dash out. Liam, still under the weather himself, contentedly sat in the stroller playing with my hand while Dash snuggled with me. My boys don't snuggle more than 5 seconds. So this little, quiet 10 minute stretch of peaceful time with my babies in the middle of a home improvement store was just soooo nice.

Isn't it awful I felt happy while they were so miserable?

IMG_6824e
2) Liam and Dash seem to be getting over their stranger anxiety. It only happens every so often. And they now even wave to people- it's so precious! And sometimes when we watch The Price Is Right (shush, I like that show, it makes me happy to see other people so happy) and the models wave to the camera, the boys wave right back.

IMG_6841e
3) When the babes were super little, Sean would regularly jerk awake from his sleep to dig through our bedding, convinced a baby was trapped within. But the babies were safe in their cribs. Once the boys started crawling, his nightly habit transformed to jolting upright to catch a baby before he fell over the edge of the bed. But the "baby" was either my knee or his own foot. Sometimes when a baby cries in the night, he'll inexplicably jump out of bed and rush over to either of the dressers and then just stand there. Oh my, the things our unconscious comes up with.

IMG_6850e
4) Have I mentioned that they say "dog"? Usually it's gog-gog-gog-gog but sometimes the word comes out clear. They also say "dad" and "hi" and maaaybe "ball." Still no "mom" yet- come on!

IMG_6876e
5) For the last week Dash and Liam have been so cranky. Lots of unexplained crying and big to-dos about little incidences. Plus everything is on high volume- frustration over a hard-to-reach book receives the same screaming cry as a whack on the head. There's much flopping and writhing on the ground when they're less than 100% happy. It's wearing me thin. It started when they got sick last week but the screaming hasn't disappeared with the runny noses. Maybe they're working on molars?

IMG_6896e
6) When I put them out in the grass, they're both a little weirded out. But Liam generally starts exploring after a few minutes. Dash, however, stays put and tries to make as little of his skin touch the grass. There's plenty to explore right where he is, anyway, right?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's hilarious that Sean would "catch" the babies from falling off the bed in his sleep! haha! Our poor sleep deprived husbands.

    ReplyDelete