Thursday, April 14, 2011

Panel of Experts: Easily Awoken

Oh Knowledgeable Ones, I am again in need of your assistance. I have some possible solutions in mind but none that I like. Maybe one of you brilliant people can bring me inspiration. On to the problem!

How do I keep the babies from waking up when Sean's getting ready in the morning? The biggest culprit is his alarm and it's not even loud! Yet I often hear them wake up within seconds of the little tune. If it's not the alarm that wakes them, then there's the shower or the cabinet opening to get breakfast or the garage door/car start. After a night of quiet, any little noise seems to chase the Zzz's away.

The timing of all this is interesting. Right now, Sean wakes up at about 4:30 am (!!!) so, actually, even if they do wake up, I can be sure they'll eventually fall back asleep (still frustrating that they and I are awake when we need our sleep) after 30-40 minutes (sometimes shorter). But when Sean wakes up about an hour before they'd naturally waken, in all likelihood, it's a done deal. And don't get me started if it's just one child (out of whack schedules, cranky babies, blah blah blah). The whole time, from alarm sounding to Sean's exit, I'm holding my breath (yes, figuratively) listening for the tell-tale squawks and crib mattress thuds as once sleeping babies start wiggling. Gives me ulcers.

I can think of two possible solutions:

A) Adjust the boys' schedule to have both their and Sean's morning wake-up to coincide. Why I won't do it: Nuh uh, not having them wake up at 4:30. Plus, Sean's schedule's changing every few weeks and that's just crazy talk to suggest I try moving the boys schedule that often. Plus, that'd mean an earlier bedtime and less time with their daddy. Nothin' doin'.

B) Get a white noise machine. I haven't looked into this much. I just don't like the idea of it. I squirm at the idea of Liam and Dash becoming dependent on a certain noise to sleep. But maybe it'd wash out the noise of their daddy getting ready in the morning. Anyone have experience with this?

Now here's where you enlighten me with your ingenious ways of keeping sleeping children asleep. Ready, go!

9 comments:

  1. We use a white noise machine (really we just use a radio and find a static station, but it works perfect). Luke can sleep without it though. We mostly just use it to drown out our noise so if its just me and him at home during nap time I don't always turn it on. The Happiest Baby on the Block book says that its a good option because its pretty easy to wean them from it. You can just turn the noise down a little more each week until there's no noise and the kids don't even notice. To me, that seems like a much easier option than changing schedules. Now, if only there was a way to keep you from waking up when the alarm goes off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use a fan in Jovies room, we have since she was born. I worried so much and wouldn't let anyone make a peep so the simple solution was to drown out any outside noise. Works like a charm, and I don't have to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of our kids often wake up when Mike leaves for work at 6:30am...those darn squeaky stairs!...but we try a white noise sort of thing and I think it helps. I don't think they are dependent on it to sleep, it just helps block out other noises a little bit so they get startled awake so easily. We leave the bathroom fan on in the hallway and Addie and Preston (who are much lighter sleepers than Ella) have dehumidifiers in their rooms that provide a little white noise too. Some kids are just lighter sleepers than other though I think - Preston is our worst!

    ReplyDelete
  4. White noise sounds like a great solution! This reminds me of my friend who asked on FB how many people like to have an electric fan on just for the noise. I was surprised by how many people said yes! So, it looks like people, old and young, look for ways to get that white noise. I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are they light sleepers at nap time too? You could try making more noise during nap time and when they go to bed at night. That could definitely be more frustrating and problematic than helpful, but it's just an idea. When my son naps I sometimes have the tv on, the laundry going, and the dishwasher going. It's plenty noisy, and he's learned to sleep through it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the idea of a white noise machine too. My sisters always had fans but I didn't want them to be dependent on it. Our ac/heater fan though is pretty sound-masking so if it's going to be a little noisier (when I have a piano lesson during nap time) we just turn the fan on minus the heater/ac - he's used to it coming on/off while he's sleeping. If yours isn't loud like that, maybe you could just turn on a fan/white noise thing when Sean gets up?? Might need a remote though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been sporadic with our white noise machine usage. I like it because it also helped me not notice every little sound the baby made and vice versa. He's still little and sleeps just fine without it, but we have a machine now and we've also used white noise purchased off of itunes. Probably shouldn't listen to me though since my child doesn't sleep...ever...

    ReplyDelete
  8. could you change the alarm clock to a different sound when it goes off? Maybe they are use to that particular sound and their bodies "know" that it means to wake up. Just a thought. My kids wake up when Seth leaves early for his rotations too. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested to see if you come up with anything (let us know what works!)... we have this same problem at our house- but luckily for me it's more like 6:30 instead of 4:30.

    ReplyDelete