Thursday, October 28, 2010

Same Diff

You would think that identical twins would develop the exact same way, wouldn't you? But no, they're individuals, they learn to do things in their own time. Take these examples:

IMG_0845e
  • At the beginning of October, Liam started actively reaching for things while Dash constantly curled up to play with his feet. Then two weeks later, switcheroo- Dash started getting into toys while Liam was all about the tootsies.
IMG_0841e
  • Dash was the first to roll onto his tummy but didn't do it terribly frequently after that. Once Liam started, he rolled over like gangbusters. Now Dash embraces the joys of bellihood.
IMG_0789e
  • So far, Liam is trying to master putting his binky into his mouth (often succeeding but more often chomping on the nub on the back) but Dash only attempts occasionally (but more each day).
  • On a related note, a couple weeks ago Liam started yoinking his binky out of his mouth while he was sleeping and just a couple days ago, Dash too began to do the same. It's like their grabby hands have minds of their own because it always always makes them cry. Frustrating! By the way- any ideas on how to combat this? It's hard during the middle of the night when only a binky comforts them but they keep pulling it out. I can't stand on guard duty!
IMG_0796e
  • Dash has fully embraced the idea of eating rice cereal. Liam? Still gives me the gross-out face and only swallows when he's too distracted to remember to spit it out. I'll give him props though, he's getting a little better.
  • Liam is rather sensitive to loud sounds, which cause him to break out into tears. Culprits so far have been my hand mixer, the power drill, extra loud toilets and hand dryers in public bathrooms, and, most unfortunately, my silly operatic singing. Dash doesn't seem to phased by these things.
But sometimes they're pretty similar:
  • I'm going to be bold and just say it: the boys can sit up! More on this to come (i.e. when I get pictures).
  • They both started noticing each other at about the same time. Then they started reaching for each other's faces. And just the other day they started giggling at each other! I had to mop my melted heart up off the floor.
IMG_0803e
  • Their napping is getting slightly better/more predictable, something they've developed simultaneously (though many times I'll have to wake one after a while to keep them on a rough schedule). They typically take a longer (1.5 hr-ish) nap, two 30-45 minute naps, and try as I might to stop it, usually another little nap in the early evening. Maybe I should just try putting them to bed super early but I'm terrified that they'll wake up in the middle of the night ready to go for the day.
  • They're both getting ridiculously more cute every day. Seriously, this is getting out of hand.
IMG_0834e

8 comments:

  1. They're cuties! Glad to hear the update. They grow up sooo fast! I love that they are noticing each other. It would be so cute to see them giggling at each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They just look like so much fun! Little cuties. No tips for the binky--I was a sucker and would get up a few times a night to go put it in. Eventually I got tired of it and eventually he started putting it back in himself. And you know I can't help but encourage an early bedtime...Ty still is going to sleep between 6 and 6:30 despite my few attempts to push it to 7 before the time changes! He always wakes up more when he goes to bed later though. Ugh. Guess when it changes he's just going to have to get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are ridiculously cute. As for the binkies... just strap it to their head ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having the same binky problem. We are considering duct tape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are SO cute... and I can't believe how BIG they are getting already!!! That's fast!! Love them!! ps - I recognize those toys : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love them playing together. Brothers! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are sooo cute for sure! I can't believe they are sitting up...they get so big so fast!

    ReplyDelete