Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Eight Things of Happiness

1. Dinner- We've had a GREAT run of yummy meals. First up was marinated steak- not the top quality cut or fancy sauce, but it tasted like heaven. Heaven in my mouth. Then we made my favorite Dittalini/Bacon dish that's so easy (though that's how I'd describe most of my recipes...) and absolutely mouth-watering. That one's more like Celestial Kingdom. In my mouth. Today Sean made us some De-Lectible stir fry. I could taste the love. Spicy love.


2. Puzzles- Sean and I finished one! We had it out on our table for about a week, available as a pleseant diversion from real life. Why is it so satisfying to find just the right piece? Or to complete the whole water section. Or discover the last edge? I don't know. But it's SO satisfying.



3. Cookies- I made some. I'd been mentally obsessed (is there any other kind of obsessed?) with the idea of making cookies for the last few days and finally told sean, "WE HAVE TO GO BY CHOCOLATE CHIPS RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW!" And we did. I love cookies. They're little sugar disks of joy. Just look at those puppies, can't you feel the sugar rush. I can. Or maybe its the four cookies I just ate.
4. Buffers- I'm almost embarrassed by this one but hey, it made me happy, who are you to judge? I'd bought one of those nail buffer things a while ago, and woah, did you know they actually work? Shiny nails sans polish! Amazing! But the buffer (you call it a buffer, right?) I bought was the retagularish kind that had a nail file on two sides and whilst buffing, I'd always slip and end up scratching the very nail I was trying to smooth! Poor, poor planning. So I bought a new buffer. WITHOUT a nail file attached. Now I have shiny AND unscratched nails. Too perfect!



5. LOST- We've hooked Sean's brother, Kyle, on the most spectular television show anyone has ever seen, possibly, ever. And since Kyle is currently living in Provo, we have him over a couple times a week to catch him up on episodes. Should I feel bad for owning seasons 1-3? I almost do. Almost. But good news: I'm thoroughly enjoying rewatching them. Which means, good investment! (side note-- I think I've had a different dessert every time Kyle has come over. I think that's a bad sign...)



6. Relief Society lessons- I gave my second relief society lesson, the topic of which was revelation. I think it went so much better than my first lesson. Firstly because I've got a little more experience, and secondly, way more friendly topic. My very first lesson happened to be about dealing with death. Talk about intimidating. The problem, I think, was that in order for people to feel comfortable discussing their experiences, they needed to feel very safe and completely at ease. But I was a new teacher, adjusting to a new calling, without having had past lessons to establish a safe evironment within my own lessons. They'd really need to trust me to share such emotional stories and I hadn't had the chance to earn their trust yet. So it was mostly me talking and sharing quotes and asking questions that a few people would mercifully answer after some awful stretch of silence. This time, I had tons to thought questions and knew exactly where to lead from point to point and everyone was vocal. I loved it, I felt great about it. Happy me.



7. Organization- After living with a messy coffee table for a year, I decided I couldn't take it anymore. It's not the whole table that's messy, it's the shelf underneath the top surface. It was full of pens and papers and wii remotes, etc. So we bought baskets. Now it at least has the appearance or orderliness. Except for that pile of papers in the middle. But it's not visible normally, so there.


8. The Office- STARTS TOMORROW!!! AHH!






Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Hey guys, nice blog going here. I have to agree that the Office makes me quite happy too. And you know what makes it even better? My roommate out here bought a 47" HD TV, so tonight I will see Pam Beasley in all her glory in beautiful High Definition. Can life get much better? I submit that it cannot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    I'm with you about the teaching in RS thing. Your observation about a.) the death lesson and (more importantly) b.) earning the trust of class members are right on. It can be uncomfortable dealing with difficult subjects when you're a new teacher. But there are lots of ways to get the class "in." Think of all the things your mom used to do in seminary to get sleepy kids to participate in class - they work as well in RS as anywhere else!

    I'm the education counselor in our RS so I'm over the teachers. We had stake conference during the month the death lesson came up, and I told the 2nd week teacher that she could choose to do the lesson that was going to be skipped for stake conference instead if she wanted. It's a hard subject for some people, depending upon their personal experiences. Very hard for some people...

    Good luck teaching in RS! It's one of the most rewarding callings I've ever had! The sisters are so attentive (!) and they actually DO answer questions (as compared to how seminary students respond!) and afterwards you can usually count on at least one or two of them thanking you for a good lesson. It's all good!

    And, by the way, I think the sisters' comments are awesome! Many times the success of our lesson has been because of what the sisters in the class had to say, rather than anything I've brought in as a teacher. Get them talking as much as you can. The sisters are a wealth of knowledge!

    Great blog - I read the whole thing! Very fun!

    Sis. Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I have discovered a few things about you this week:

    1. We have a lot of things in common

    2. You are so funny!

    3. I love how romantical you are about Sean. It's how I feel with Michael.

    ReplyDelete