Saturday, September 27, 2008

Body Worlds

Since Sean and I love cool stuff, we decided to go do something cool: we visited the Body Worlds exhibit (hosted by The Leonardo- is that a cool name or what?). Have you heard of this traveling exhibit? It's neat, it has all sorts of different body parts/systems plastinated so it's perfectly preserved and in it's natural shape.
Sean drove us safely and awesome-lookingly up to Salt Lake. What a stud!

Nervous or excited? You decide.


Sean has ambitions of one day being the featured cadaver on the big sign. One day. He has potential, don't you think?

My three favorite things were thus:


1) They somehow were able to preserve all the blood vessels and remove all the other parts. It was so intricate, sometimes the circulation was so dense that it just looked like fuz. They did this with a bunch of organs, a few animals, and the neatest was a head. You could see the layer of vessels for the skin and then within there was the vessels devoted to the brain. It was so neat, you could tell where the gyri were from the gaps in the dense vessels. I love the brain.

2) There was also a display of the brain and some peripheral nerves. I loved it because it looked so simple. And neurons are so NOT simple. They do such complicated, delicately balanced things. But they look like meaty string. Do I sound like a dork? Probably. Man, I love the nervous system.

3) Belly buttons. Really. Every full body displayed had a different button: some tiny, some like a trumpet mouthpiece, all different. I love belly buttons.

I was nervous about going because I thought seeing all the blood stuff might make me woozy. Or faint. It's been known to happen. Maybe I'll tell you about it some time. It involves... blood and fainting. But there wasn't any actual blood at all at the exhibit, just the stuff that contains it. I think it's flowing blood that gets to me.


Afterward, we tried out a bakery I've been eyeing for a while, Paradise Bakery and Cafe. Boy I'm glad we did! Super yummy! I had a chicken walnut sandwich on Molasses Bread. And it came with an ooey gooey cookie! I officially recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for blogs! Body exhibit looks cool. I've heard that there was some controversy with where they got the bodies so I've avoided seeing it, but I think next time we're in Vegas I might have to cave. That is, if it's still there. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exhibit was in Houston recently and we wanted to go, but never made it in time. It sounds like it was very interesting though...and the bakery sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete