Monday, September 16, 2013

Preschooler Talk

IMG_0793e
Preschooler talk is such a spectacular insight on how their brains work. Unfiltered stream-of-consciousness mixed with attempts to grasp language and say things that will please his audience.

Around the time that Grey was born, Liam and Dash's speech took off. Probably because they were vying for more attention. Now we have all sorts of conversations. Our biggest hang-up lies in instructing via physical direction ("Your airplane is right next to the table. No, not the table in the basement, right next to your foot. Right there. Look down. You're looking right at it. No, walk the other way. You just stepped over." etc.)

IMG_0785e
There are a few things they frequently say and always mispronounce. A sampling: helicopahtow, cewe-low (cereal), boo-bellies (blueberries), tyno-sauce (tyranosaurus). Certainly, anything with an "r" trips them up.

Every morning, usually while I'm getting him dressed, Liam asks, "Where we are going, mommy?"

IMG_0798e
Dash started asking "why?" Luckily, he only does it sporadically. Because I can only think of so many explanations before I've reached the end of my intelligence.

I love the excitement they insert into everyday words and sentences. One day, Dash was watching Liam eat, saying *gasp* "a bite!" *gasp* "a bite!" And when they both complete a task, pump their fists cheering, "Did it!"

IMG_0788e
Their big cop-out excuse: "I not twy." They use it when they just plain don't want to do something (cleaning up, eating dinner, etc.) or when asked to do something new.

Their main sleep time stall tactic is to come find me and inform me that they are, "picking another book." You may pick a book, just stay in your room, sillies.

IMG_0781e
I can't get enough of their little casual words, like "nope," "oh!" "yeah yeah yeah." and "okay!" I think it's the attitude behind the words, when they communicate happily, that makes me like it so.

This always makes me giggle: "that's mine's." It's a step up from their previous, "that's my's."

IMG_0790e
Things being "scawy" (scary) is a big concept around these parts. They like to say "I'm scawed!" and ball up their hands by their face and shiver. Dash is a master shiverer.

Sometimes when they say a sentence and realize they mean the opposite, they'll throw a "not" at the end. Or as a replacement for "don't." So they say "I finished my milk... not." and "I not want more bread."

IMG_0799e
Whenever they hear an unexpected sound, they hold still with bugged out eyes, and ask after a beat, "what's dat sound, mommy?" I think they get it from my reaction when I hear Sean driving in from work. It's precious.

IMG_0804e

3 comments:

  1. THIS. Is an awesome post. I need to record more of N's vocabulary & cognitive musings. I get A LOT of why's these days and my intelligence level stops way before yours :)

    These photos are fantastic. Love-love.

    You're a great Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! Luke is saying so many of the same things! I laugh all the time at what he says. It sounds like you probably laugh a lot too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! "That's mine's" is a common saying over here too :)

    ReplyDelete