Thursday, May 9, 2013

Pike's Peak

The reason we could spend a little while in Colorado was because Sean had a couple weeks off to do research. He decided to test a new device that measures cerebral oxygenation at various altitude levels. Which required a trip up Pikes Peak. Oh my gosh, Liam and Dash's expression were priceless in everyone of their pictures.
IMG_7809e
It's almost an hour's drive to the mountain, followed by an hour up the mountain, so we took a little break in the middle. MY KIDS ARE SO CUTE.

IMG_7814e
Look how high we were! And we're not even to the top yet. I'm very glad it was Sean doing the driving- some of those hairpin turns, yikes!

IMG_7818e
On the peak and it's COLD. That wind just whipped right through you.

IMG_7820e
They are SO happy to be out there. No, their favorite place was in the store.

IMG_7822e
When we first arrived, I stayed in the car to feed Grey. When we ventured out to find the rest of the family, oh man, Grey did not like that wind. I was concentrating so much on keeping Grey wrapped up, I couldn't even find the store's entrance, so we just stayed in the car.

IMG_7830e
Liam and Dash came back to the car too and Sean went back out to see the sights. I wonder how many miles away is that horizon.

IMG_7833e
Purple Mountain's majesty indeed.

IMG_7859e
At least we all got some donuts. They're a special high altitude recipe or something. I've been up the peak once before, with my parents. We had only been in the state a day or two before we went up, so the altitude was getting to each of us. I remember we were heading back to the car, all feeling woozy and gross, when my dad whipped back around to go get another batch of donuts. They were that good.

2 comments:

  1. I like the make shift winter garb the kids are wearing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad we missed this outing! Glad you had so much time in Colorado Katie! We miss you already!

    ReplyDelete