Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cute Sleep

All systems are go in Operation: Nightsleep.

We've moved them to their own room, upped the bedtime to 8 (it may need to go earlier, since they're usually cranky by then), stuck to a nice little routine to get the kids in the zone, and, hardest of all, let them cry for a bit when they don't want to fall asleep right away or wake up when they shouldn't.

There's a modicum of success: two nights ago, they only woke up once to eat and once to cry during an eleven our stretch. But the three nights previous to that there had been hour long wail sessions. So there's progress to be made.

I'm reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins. Well, rereading. The first time I read it was in the first weeks of the babies' lives. In my sleep-deprived state, all I had paid attention to was when the boys ought to sleep longer than a few hours at a time. Six weeks, six weeks, six weeks, was my mantra for sanity.

Now I'm actually taking in all the valuable sleep tips. So we're getting the boys to nap in their cribs (though they still only go for 20-40 minutes) and are watching for drowsy signals. I stink at it. Apparently if they're rubbing their eyes and fussy, I'm already past the prime time to put them down. Hmph. I'm supposed to watch for things like "slowed movement" and "less vocalization." So every time they're quietly looking around, it means they ought to go to sleep? I'm not buying it.

Before I was being so religious in napping in the crib, I caught the boys doing some cute sleeping.
IMG_0177e
Liam loves chomping on his hands so much that he fell asleep with his fingers wedged in there for at least a half an hour.

IMG_0179e
Dash was being a little fussy but didn't seem very sleepy. But in one fell swoop, he flipped onto his tummy, tucked in his little cube under his chin and conked right out. Didn't take more than a second.

I wish he'd fall asleep that easily more often!

2 comments:

  1. When Bear was 3 months old, I read several books about creating good sleep habits for your kids. They said similar things to what you've read... I'm sure it's even more challenging with twins, but eventually I got so irritated with trying to follow what the books said that I just did what felt right and made sense for us. So don't worry if you aren't noticing 'slowed movement' and 'less vocalization.' Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the sleep mission is well underway! They'll get there. It's a process. I'm trying to push back bedtime so that when the time changes Ty's not tired at 5PM! Oh and I was going to mention the other day I used the mini-high chair that goes in the chair at my in-laws. I think we may switch to that from the big high chair b/c its so easier to clean and he didn't seem to mind at all. There's 2 more cents for ya. :)

    ReplyDelete