Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sub-I

IMG_2951e
Sean's doing his Sub-Internship this month. What's a sub-I? Well, you're first year of residency is called your Intern Year. So as a sub-intern, Sean has more responsibility and assumed knowledge/experience than a regular med student but not as must as a first-year resident.

Well, that's how it's supposed to be but it sure seems like he's required to work more than the residents. He only gets one day off a week (which I think may be standard fare during his intern year. Oy.). In the last week, he's been on call three times. Meaning, he goes to work at 6am and isn't done until the next morning at 10:30am (at best!). Can you imagine having three nearly 30 hour shifts in a week;s time? I added it up and from last wednesday to today, he's worked more than 100 hours. The man's tired.

He hasn't had much of a chance to be reflective but I think he's enjoying it some. He likes having more independence, he likes being able to be more involved, he likes that he actually does know things beyond the level of a regular med student. If only he didn't have to work so darn much.

IMG_2958e
We at home sure miss him. In the near future he'll start having to take residency interview trips, so at least this experience is preparing me for that. But we also make the most of all the time that he's home. It's a hot commodity. We all love him so.

Let me leave you with one of the best conversations I have ever heard.

Sean: What did you do today?
Liam: Eat.
Dash: Toot.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that is the best conversation ever! or at least this week :) Oh how is wish we lived closer so we could hang out while you are alone so much! Come to Indiana if you ever get too lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good luck to you all handling that crazy schedule! It sure is nice being able to have you prepare me for what's to come! Sounds like a doosy!!

    ReplyDelete