Friday, February 3, 2012

Readers?

IMG_7955e

H, S, D, Z, and O: those are the letters that my children can pick off a page and make their sound.

Do you understand what I'm saying? They can point to an S of their own accord and start "sssss"-ing, no prompting whatsoever. Uh, that's, like, reading, isn't it? How can my gooey-dooey itty-bitty-witty babies read. Dude.

For a long long long long time they've liked to point out the C and H on the bathtub faucet. And there was this one book with title letters on each page they always liked to point out. But in the last week or two, it's been all about the letters. Every book title must be spelled out, usually the story within the book is of lesser importance to the boys than the letters. There's several they'll pick out when asked and will copy our sounds, especially, M, B, E, I, P, T, W, and Y (I venture to guess that only parents of toddlers set about making lists of letters). Dash likes to call most letters D- yesterday he persistently corrected me that the number 4 was actually a D. When Liam gets into a rhythm, he's a mimicking machine, making all sorts of sounds!

I'm happy to report that they're saying more words. Not a ton but more. Words like bib, bath, oval, and poo poo (sounds crass, but it comes in handy...). They're also kinda, sorta, a little bit counting. They don't say the numbers but they like to point to a group of something in a certain way that indicates to me they want to count, so I start numbering each thing they point to, without overlapped counts or missed items. Dash usually gives himself a silent, soft applause after each instance. Liam just gives a big smile. Gosh, they're darling kids.

I sure love their brains.

3 comments:

  1. 1. Happy Birthday!
    2. I knew your kids would be geniuses :-).
    3. Enjoy these short counting phases...Addie went through a phase where she asked me to count to 100 ALL THE TIME (and to make it more fun, Preston was little and it would make him mad to hear me doing it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our oldest was a very early reader! It was amazing....I really thought he had the bedtime book "Where's My Bear?". I pointed to each word as I read to him. Then he would read the book to me, word for word, nothing missed! By the time he was 5, he was reading the easy words on bilboards as we drove down around town. To this day, he is a VERY avid reader!! But, he LOVES an actual book in his hand and doesnt' want a Kindle, or any other electronic book....granted he loves downloading comics onto his Ipod. ;)

    ~Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant boys, obviously! Such a cute post Katie! :)

    ReplyDelete