Wednesday, June 9, 2010

So far

IMG_0466e
It really is hard to find the time to blog these days. I take pictures one day, edit the next, put them on flickr after that, then figure out what to write in the next several days. And that's if I want to spend my precious free non-sleeping hours that way. But today, you're lucky, because that's how I want to spend my precious free non-sleeping hours.

I thought I'd share how things have been these last four weeks. Four weeks! It doesn't seem that long. It feels more like one long, giant day. It all runs together when there's no big sleep session to designate one day from the next.

So, sleep. It hasn't been too bad. It seems like they have one or two good nights then one or two bad nights. A good night is when they stay asleep in between feedings. A few glorious times they slept for three hours! Then there were a few nights a couple weeks back, during a growth spurt, when I only had about 45 minutes to sleep in-between nursing sessions. It was... hard to function those days.

Nursing is going pretty well. They eat at the same time, which is great. But in the last week, they've been taking at least an hour to eat their fill! They just pack it away. We've tried weighing them with our Wii Fit (though I don't totally trust it's accuracy) and it says they both weigh at least 8 pounds! Chunkers. Liam has a nice double chin to prove it.

I'm feeling pretty well physically. It took me about a week to stop walking like I was a figure in the Evolution of Man and feel kind of normal. Nowadays, I'm just a bit sleepy all the time with a forever sore back.
IMG_0412e
I was certainly up to watching the Lost series finale. How great that I got to watch it with my new family!

And let me just say a word of praise for DVRs. Six hours of Lost does not work on a three hour nursing schedule.
IMG_0491e
We also had our babies blessed over memorial day weekend since both sides of the family were here. It was wonderful wonderful wonderful. I don't know what our deal was, we never got a picture of everyone that was there. So take this photo as a sampling.

Oh! During the blessing, one of our friends' car was towed! That was lovely to discover. Not. Times twenty.

IMG_0503e
My mom was here for the first couple of weeks. THANK GOODNESS. She was a lifesaver. I would not have slept, ate food, or had clean clothes to wear without her. Nor would Pogo have been taken care of.

Speaking of Pogo, she's a little weirded out by this whole baby thing. The first night was the worst- we came home from the hospital during a thunderstorm and Pogo, who hadn't been outside for hours and hours, would NOT go out the door. No matter how much food with which we tried to bribe her. Things are a bit better now but you can tell she's sometimes a little jealous of our two new attention hogs.
IMG_0514e
Back to mom. She was great and loved our babies sooo much.

IMG_0459e
And they loved her back. (Doesn't that look just make you melt? MMM!)

IMG_0500e
And she misses them dearly.

IMG_0473e
My dad got to come for a few days. It's just so tender to see my pops holding my little baby.

IMG_0560e
Sean's family came too, except for Kyle and LIndsay (missed you guys!). Grandma and Grandpa Bradley thoroughly enjoyed their new titles, loving and tickling their first two grandsons at every chance.

IMG_0572e
Yep, that's a gen-u-ine smile there!

IMG_0565e
While the boys went back home after a few days to attend to normal life, Grandma Bradley and Rachel picked up where my mom left off (aka, doing everything they can to let me get more sleep). They've been magnificent.

And today's their last full day here.

Tomorrow I'm on my own.

Oh dear.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love their wrinkly little foreheads! Before you know it, they'll both be bigger than Caleb. Goodness. I'm so glad to hear how well you are all doing (minus the whole lack of sleep thing). I am thoroughly impressed with how good you look in these pictures--your hair and make-up is done! Caleb is 7 months old and I still only do my hair and make-up once a week (for church). And I only have one baby! You are a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how the lack of sleep must be with 2. Just remind yourself everyday that they will sleep all night eventually. I remember with Ella just crying because I was so tired and felt like I would never get to sleep again...but I did :-). Good luck on your own! If I didn't have all 3 of my kids with me I would try and come help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll come help!! Just call me and I'll be there...seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You look great though Katie! -though I'm sure with such lack of sleep you may not feel it. What a great way to describe it: one great big long day. That's how I felt too for the first few weeks...which I'm sure is nothing compared to you! Love your cute little boys! Great pictures, as always. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, your boys do make me want to melt. They're so precious! Good luck on your own after tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look awesome Katie! I think I hid from the camera for several weeks after I had Lauren. Your babies are so cute!!! Such fun... good luck with things on your own! Parents and family are so nice to have around those first few days after the birth. I'm sure you will do awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete