Sunday, September 20, 2009

home projects

One thing that I've come to expect whenever visiting with my parents is to participate in a home project. And, wooooah nelly, this trip did not disappoint. This trip, we had a laundry list of projects. I couldn't have been happier! IMG_7281e
Our kitchen needed a lot of help, simply because there is very very very very little cabinet space. So mom helped me reorganize, add shelves, buy lockable garbage cans that Pogo can't break into, and install wire baskets on the inside of doors. The most important task at hand was to figure out a place to put the microwave besides the top of the refridgerator (which was getting old fast). We ended up purchasing a table from IKEA that met our needs quite nicely. Plus, we get to put it together! Best part!


IMG_7507e
Here's the new table in action. I still need to figure out something colorfull to put on one of the shelves. I take donations.


IMG_7347e
Next victim, the bedroom. It was dull dull dull. We decided it would best be resolved with a headboard and footboard. And we were going to make them. Well, at least most of it.


IMG_7321e
Sean had a chance to use his circular saw, all cool-like.


IMG_7328e
...while Pogo cuddled in soft things.


IMG_7346e
She likes soft things.



Anyway, after all our hard work, behold our new and improved bed:
IMG_7479e
Ta Da! I've been wanting to make a padded headboard for years. And mom came up with the idea of putting a bench on the end.


IMG_7343e
With some partical board, batting, superbly priced IKEA fabric (which took at least 3 times too long for me to choose, seriously), staples...
IMG_7498e
... plus some Pine and stain, we have a much more interesting bedroom.


IMG_7495e
I love the green. I wasn't sure I would, but I really do!


IMG_7503e
I wanted to use foam instead of batting, since it would be a more dense padding and hold its shape better. But do you know how much 3/4" foam costs? $17 a yard. No thanks. It's just foam! Plus, they didn't even have foam wide enough. So, batting it was. We spent $17 total for all of it. Better deal.


IMG_7484e
We cheated a little on the bench. We bought a nice basic bench from IKEA , then stuck on a padded top.


IMG_7491e
Add some pretty green boxes... works for me!


Thanks mom and dad, this all looks so great! We still have some more improving to do in the bedroom (like put pictures on the wall) but this was a huge step up. If only we could paint the walls.

12 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous! Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, your bed looks AMAZING! So jealous of your building skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! We're so not qualified to attempt anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I LOVE the headboard and definitely need to copy it...we still don't have one!

    As for the hair, I don't :-(. I got it done once when we lived downtown at a place in the bottom of the Galleria near the ice rink and they did a good job but were really expensive. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh nice! Love the microwave table, and super love the bed! The fabric is simply divine! I was trying to figure out where Ikea has a bench, and thinks it must be from the bathroom department. Oh, and I may steal the bench idea. I like the tie-in of green with the boxes. Love that color green.

    Now, I would like pics of the whole place please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome. The headboard and bench really add some flavor. I'm glad you like the green because it's the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I'm seriously impressed. Your bed looks incredible! Go YOU for being creative AND saving money! :) There's nothing like coming home to a room that you love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! It looks soo good! I love the fabric too! Way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive! It looks great! Quite a transformation

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are all for mystery shopping over here. You can google them and find different ones, but the company that does cheesecake factory is:
    http://mysteryguestinc.com/MGI/
    This company pays you back with a giftcard ($40 for dinner and $30 for lunch/bruch), so the first time you pay for it, but now we just use our giftcard from the previous trip to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay, so, seriously.... I'm in love with your bed. I showed it to Josh and said I wanted one for Christmas. He said he could make it for me! Well, maybe not for Christmas this year, but sometime.... your bed looks AWESOME! golly, you guys are so creative. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice, Katie! I'm so proud of you guys! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete