Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fondue: a fun-do

Perhaps this is horribly late but no matter, this restaurant provides a lasting memory. For our 2nd anniversary, we treated ourselves to a trip to The Melting Pot!
IMG_4894e
We probably won't be going back anytime soon- but that's not because of the quality, which was fabulous, but because of the damage to the pocketbook. However, it's worth at least one visit!
For those unfamiliar, eating at the Melting Pot is a true food experience. Consisting of four fondue-style courses, the subdued atmosphere and built-in cooking and warming times forces you to slowly ponder and savor each bite.
IMG_4836e
Most of the courses are cooked/dipped in this here pot. I want to say it's a double-boiler but I really have no idea. It's on a heater built in to the middle of the table, keeping everything inside of the pot warm.
Would you like to see the mouth-watering food we were priviledged to eat? Lez go:
[Cheese fondue]

IMG_4837e

To start, we had bite-sized portions of bread and slices of apples to dip into this thick, flavorful cheese. I could have filled up on just this.
Also, the romantic mood lighting made for seom terribly blurry pictures. Plus, the food was so tempting, I never took the time to take a good photo. Because of those two reasons, I had about 3 focused pictures. Sorry 'bout dat.
[Salad]

IMG_4846e

Alright, so there wasn't any fondue here, but it was tasty. My salad had sugar-crusted nuts, I love those.
[Main course]

IMG_4856e

Mm, this was fun. The center pot had a thick broth (that the waiter put together at our table-entertaining) in which we submerged various types of meat, cut into small portions. It only took a minute or two a piece and was actually quite fun to do ourselves. I liked having all sorts of meat to try, to savor- little bit of steak, little bit of chicken, little bit of shrimp, little bit of pork. Mmm mmm.
[Dessert]

IMG_4867e

drool... My golly, whoa nelly, gee whiz, this was THE best part: the chocolate fondue in which we dipped these delectable morsels. I should have just had this for each course. What was I thinking?!

IMG_4880e

Can you guess whose plate is whose?
About two hours after we arrived, we rolled out of that restaurant with smiles on our faces. We were still full the next morning. To give you perspective, I actually left one piece of brownie on the plate, uneaten. If any of you know me, you know I never let dessert go to waste. You see, I think I have a second stomach reserved solely for desserts, so there's always room. But this time, I don't know what happened, I just couldn't stuff any more in.
I'm so ashamed.

IMG_4901e

We walked by a court house on the way back to the car and snapped some photos.

IMG_4903e

Sean made a new friend. Honestly, with all that food in our bellies, I don't think we've ever been friendlier.
You know, I said that we probably won't be going back soon, but I think I'll take back that statement. You can always just get the chocolate fondue... that sounds like a good idea to me!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been to The Melting Pot yet, but if you're ever in Chicago, you HAVE to go to Geja's: http://www.gejascafe.com/

    Not only is it AMAZINGLY delicious, but there's live flamenco (sp?) guitar music and it's dark and romantic and awesome. It's expensive too...but it's soooooooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the melting pot! Chris and I went there when he got into the MAC program and then we went with my parents when they met him for the first time. Oh yeah I also went with my parents, Chris, and my sister's then fiance. So I guess I went 3 times is like 1 year. Chris got a gift card there, so sometime we'll make trip no. 4. I think the fullest I've ever been has been after eating there. It took us 3 hours the first time and every minute was delectable!!!

    ReplyDelete