Thursday, January 29, 2009

Another one bites the dust

One of the less than pleasant aspects of the Neuroscience graduate program are all the hoops I have to jump through, especially the oral exam.


Why do they call it an oral exam? I'm not in dental school, people.


The oral exam consists of three professors (my committee) grilling me on all sorts of subjects from all my coursework. Okay, not really grilling, they were pretty nice about it. But it's three against one, I felt a little ganged up upon.


Oh, and I answered vocally. Hence, "oral" exam. I guess it sort of makes sense.


It was today. And I passed! Hallelujah! All that's left is getting all my data, writing my thesis, and defending it. Piece of cake. A giant, ultra-dense, mega-chocolatey, uber moist piece of cake.


Speaking of data gathering. These are my data monkeys.

So they're not monkeys, they're mice. But look at them climb!


They're cute little buggers. And they liiiike alcohol. Well, some of them do. It depends on their genotype. Which provides me with fanTAstic data.



'80s high school portrait time! Poor guy, no one should be in a picture that looks so silly. Silly mousy.


They are curious little cats. I mean mice. Anti-cats.



Thanks to Photoshop for assisting me in this presentation. For comparative purposes, see original photo below.
Ah, photoshop, what would I do without ye?

9 comments:

  1. Awww they are cute. Hearing the word thesis makes me have seizures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HURRAY! Your oral exam is done!! That's great. I'm so happy that everything went well and that you passed and now all you have to do is write a paper longer than most books :) Haha. Just kidding.

    But seriously? You rock! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and Good luck! Mike's sister is working on her masters thesis right now and just blogged about it...reading what you two are going through makes me glad I stopped with my good old Bachelor's degree :-)! Photoshop is pretty amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! I know how stressful all that masters stuff can be. I thought the oral exam was so scary. I tried to get out of it by writing a paper but no such luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job katie!!! That is awesome. Way to go and represent the neuro majors! Those are some pretty good shots of your test subjects- very photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whooo-eee! Passed that oral exam with flying colors, i'm sure. Right, right?

    Are you rather fond of the little mice - your photoshop sure did clean them up and make 'em a bit more appealing.

    Thesis - you can get that done in 6 months, right? Sure you can! (But, don't ask me how, me who took 2 years - but then I didn't have cute mice to play with. Makes a difference, I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! You are sorta almost there! Keep chuggin' along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the oral exam! You really do feel ganged up on with it being 3 to 1! I guess it's not as bad as being a teacher and having it 200 to 1, but still.

    ReplyDelete