Monday, October 6, 2008

The ultimate of meetings


Another wonderful General Conference weekend has swept me by and I've come away inspired and knowing there's a heck of a lot I need to work on! I also took a couple more trips to the airport- I had my hubby with me for all of 17 hours this weekend, boo. At least I had the church leaders to keep me company :) Here's some of my favorite bits:


  • Elder Oaks' talk on Sacrament Meeting- I always come away learning so much from his talks and appreciated the point by point guidelines of preparing for and worshipping during Sacrament Meeting. I especially liked his joke about sleepers not disturbing anyone else and then quitely snickering to himself. Ha ha, its so funny to see him laugh at his own joke!

  • Wow, 5 new temples! How wonderful is that!!

  • Elder Holland's talk on Angels- What a beautiful testimony of how we can all express God's love and bring heaven ever closer. I also loved how Sean (in the only session that I got to watch with him) would glance over at me with eyes that said "you're my sweet, precious angel"- I love that boy.

  • Elder Bednar's talk on Prayer- How neat was it to think about how we felt when we watched Christ pray for all of us; praying for those we love creates just the same feeling. I loved when he said (something like) the prayers of prophets are childlike in simplicity and powerful in sincerity.

  • Elder Eyring's talk on Unity- There's so much contention EVERYWHERE but we really need to remember that we all have the same goal. I've never thought about how sharing our testimonies together unifies us in Christ and he's completely right. I also appreciated the reminder that we need to speak generously about people because speaking critically sows seeds of disunity.

  • William D. Oswald's talk on Gospel Teaching- um, I'm teaching, I can use all the help I can get! There sure are a lot of good examples of teachers in the scriptures

  • Eduardo Gavarret's talk on Bringing people back- When we sacrifice to try to bring others back to the church, it makes such a difference. We really have a lot we can do.

And remember, enjoy the journey!

1 comment:

  1. I love General Conference too! Of course. Although a lot of this one was spent trying to get my baby to nap...at one point he cried for a straight hour and a half. Hard to concentrate on Conference with a baby crying for that long! I am so grateful we will get a conference Ensign so I can read the talks!!

    ReplyDelete