Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Chosen and The Promise

I'm not sure about the rest of you but there were so many books I was assigned to read in high school that I just didn't... like. Some, I just completely disagreed with the message of the book, something like: women deserve more than the responsibilities "limiting" them as a parent. Or some books just sort of made me feel yucky. Others were interesting enough to think about but I'd never read it again.

One of the few exceptions to the norm holds the honor as my very very favorite book. The Chosen, by Chaim Potok. It's about two jewish boys as they grow up and grow in friendship. They both have brilliant minds and the most interesting fathers. The story is absolutely beautiful. The dynamics of their friendship enraptured me in their story, buttressed by an intricate look at the father/son relationship. What's absolutely amazing is understanding their dedication to their faith, the way they approach study of the talmud, their commitment to their standards. I learned so much about Judaism. And it made me think so much.

I recently discovered that there was a sequal to The Chosen: The Promise. I think it's just as wonderful. It has similar themes but deals more with conflict within religion and how much one can personalize religion. Man, I feel like there is so much to say about these books that I can describe properly. It just really reached deep inside me, causing me to ponder crucial ideas that I often don't consider. There's so many ideas I could talk about here. What really is a soul, how is it developed and nurtured? How do you create a friendship that is full of trust and comparing? How did the Holocaust affect American Jewery, how was Jewish scholarship changed? How do we reconcile differences in beliefs, and at what point do we allow it to break relationships apart? How do I approach my study of the scriptures, could I change to reach the level of these characters (man, the way they study talmud, wow, just wow)? Is there a wrong way to raise a child? At what point can someone's commitment to their beliefs alienate others from that very belief. Can we truly love and truly hate someone simultaneously.

That's what I love about these books, I think about all these ideas all throughout the text. It's truly changed me. There are so many truly admirable characters that have to make truly anguishing decisions. I feel so much respect for them.

I recommend this book to EVERYONE. You'll come out thinking, pondering, wanting to be more committed, more thoughtful. I love it, I really do.

2 comments:

  1. I remember having to read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I hated that book. Grossed me OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sold...they've both been added to my "To Read" list on Goodreads :-)!

    ReplyDelete