Thursday, October 9, 2008

10 Flights, 6 States, 3 Schools, and Me: One Crazy Week Interviewing at Med Schools






So I'm finally back for a few weeks from my interviews. It feels nice not to be living out of a suitcase right now. It feels even nicer being back with my adorable sweetie again. But man, what a busy week!



I started off in Nashville, TN - home of country music, the Tennessee Titans, and Vanderbilt University. Man, what a beautiful campus! It was a great trip to see a school with some really hi-tech learning aids, super-friendly students, and some cool architecture. I really liked Vanderbilt, and my trip was marred only by my nearly missing my flight home because of bad directions to the bus stop... I mean, I turned left when I should have went right, and I missed my shuttle once, and almost missed it a second time. The hospital complex was pretty sweet and I think Nashville would be a nice place to live.




So I was back for 2 days before I had to head out to Houston for an interview at Baylor. I had a 3.5 hour layover in DIA so I explored every nook and cranny of that airport - I had no idea there were so many gates there! Baylor was fantastic, they have an enormous medical center there, it's like another downtown. It was pretty neat there - everyone had a hurricane story too. Here's mine: I read about it in the news. Cool, huh? So when I went to Houston, there were neighborhoods with piles of trees blown over and stacked up to be burned, lots of windows were broken and covered with plywood. I hear it's awful in Galveston. But things were back to business as usual at the med school and I was really impressed with their programs.



I got back Monday from the University of Chicago - that school just has a sweet campus! Who wouldn't like Chicago? I was able to stay with Katie's family and lightsaber-it-up with my niece and nephew. It was a nice trip, and I felt really guilty leaving my lovely wife at home. I'm ditching her again in 2 weeks to go back, too! Aren't I awful? It was nice to go interview and see all these cool schools - I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment