Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Grey Skies and Sunshine

IMG_1940e
Sean's a man of many interests that often rotate between themselves. His free time (ha!) floats between woodworking, chess, card tricks, weirdly specific wikipedia research, and whatever else strikes his interest. Every now and then, learning a new instrument sneaks in there. Around the time I began my pregnancy with Grey, he started learning the harmonica.

IMG_1943e
The first song (and one of the few) he learned? You Are My Sunshine. The twins and I loved hearing him play. And when we finally settled on the name Grey, we thought, hey, it's in that song! and Sean would sing it to my belly. In the hospital after delivering Grey and trying to sooth the crying babe, Sean and I started singing the song. He calmed down immediately. And each time after, same result. It was magic. You Are My Sunshine became Grey's song.

IMG_1946e
I tried not to use it too much. Surely the magic wasn't unlimited. But if any of my normal soothing tricks wouldn't work, I'd curl him against me and start singing. Sometimes he'd quiet down right away, others, it took a few repeats. But it always worked. Until a few months ago, when he realized he could be stubborn. I was on round ten warbling the chorus and still, the cries! Ah, it was magical while it lasted. To me, You Are My Sunshine will always be for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment