Monday, June 17, 2013

the part where we drive


  • Our big drive was split up into three days: A planned eight hour and a ten hour traveling day to my parents' house in Illinois, then a 6 hour drive to Minnesota a week later. Those ended up being an eight hour, thirteen hour and 7 hour drive, but what can you do? Potty breaks are the worst.

  • We towed our little car behind the SUV and it was surprisingly easy. Just took a little bit more to speed up or slow down. I'm glad we didn't have to drive separately. Although we had to return the tow dolly before we drove up to MN, so that last day I was alone with the kids.

  • Liam and Dash took the drive pretty well, lots of tablet/iPod playing and movie watching. Plus eating and toys. The trick for Grey was to have lots of food at all times. A water bottle and a couple toys to play with filled up the rest of the time. Pogo was picture perfect.

  • When I was alone with the kids that last driving day, to keep Grey happy, I'd pass back handfuls of puffs or fresh toy until he fell asleep or was time for a pitstop. At one point, the boys really wanted a snack while Grey was asleep and I'm really proud of how I was able to gather it up and fling it back to them (they're in the way back) while driving.

  • None of my kids sleep that well in the car. Dash and Liam would take maybe an hour nap, Grey's is usually about 30 minutes. THOUGH he snuck in a third nap one day and it was over an hour! Four minutes more, but still!

  • I have this terrible habit of noticing imperfections in my nails and trying to fix them with my teeth when I'm stuck without a nail file. And when I say "fix," I really mean "ruin." I destroyed two nails on the trip. Just two!

  • We made a nice little stop on our long day.

IMG_8841e
What did we see?

IMG_8822e
I'll give you a hint, it's by the Mighty Mississippi (which is now are neighbor in Minnesota!)

IMG_8825e
As we walked to our destination, we were sidetracked by a train.

IMG_8827e
What is it about boys and trains?

IMG_8834e
Then we finally made it to the Arch!

IMG_8837e
It was rather windy. I think I need to try to style their hair this way, yes?

IMG_8855e
It was so windy, it made my face disappear. 

IMG_8840e
The Arch is pretty cool

IMG_8842e
And pretty tall.

IMG_8862e
And pretty great for us all. Hurray for St. Louis!

No comments:

Post a Comment