Monday, January 25, 2010

Da mamas and da papas and da birfdays

I just love having my parents come visit. Because even though I still have to work and clean and cook, I feel like I'm on vacation. And I have these trippy, conflicting states of being- feeling like an adult as I host them in my home and discuss kids and the future and adult type things, but at the same time they'll go buy me a donut if I drop the hint, just like they would when I was five. How can I feel like a grown-up and a kid at the same time?

Enough of this existentialism junk, lemme tell you what we did when they came this last week.

A lot of the time, we just stayed home and talked and ate and played games. Mom and dad rebonded with Pogo, who gobbled up their company. Sean told them about med school and showed them this:


IMG_9350e

Yes Ma'am, that's a real human skull. Didn't know you had springs built into your head, didja?

Mom retaught me how to sew. Though I only practiced on an old T-shirt. But my friend Angela just gave me some scraps! Now I have lots things to try!

Sean also showed off his new kitchen knife and his beautifully precise tomato slicing:

IMG_9371e

I tell ya, I haven't cut a thing since I bought Sean this knife. Best present I ever gave.

It came in handy when we made tomato-basil pizza (I linked to a "sort of" recipe but if you want the pizza crust recipe, you'll have to get the Pioneer Woman Cookbook- worth it), though was unnecessary when making baked fudge. But both were Deeee-lectable! MmmMmm!

My parents also bought me my first pair of stretchy maternity pants. No, I will not be sharing a picture with you, thankyouverymuch. Most of my pants can still fit, they just sit really low and drag on the ground more than usual. So now I have something that fits properly. It's weird, though, having that elastic around my belly. It takes getting used to.

And the very most adult-ish thing we did was... looking at houses! My dear husband and I are very much thinking of purchasing our very own home. I've got to say, it's a lot of fun looking at houses and talking with a realtor. The idea of having our own space, a backyard, room to move around after doubling our family size, freedom to do what we want to the walls- I'm all a'tingle! I'll keep you posted as things develop.

We also spent some fun time all together with my brother and his family. We spent Martin Luther King Jr. Day at the park, playing and eating. Nothing better.

Sean took some fun photos:


IMG_9383e

She was having fun diggin' in the dirt. Easy to please.

IMG_9374e

He's always doing the thumbs up thing. I guess there's nothing wrong with being so positive, is there?

IMG_9389e

Pogo sure loved being outside so long- beats being couped up in our apartment.

Sean was the day's entertainment, both in juggling and facial expression. Let me display their parallel digression:

IMG_9415e

Looking good- juggler holding steady, a face of sheer concentration.

IMG_9412e

Uh oh, Sean, tighten up that form, get back in the game!

IMG_9409e

Alas, all is lost. Limbs flailing all over the place; it seems to make Sean almost sick. I feel your pain, honey.


That's okay, no one was looking:

IMG_9423e

"Hmm? Sean did what now?"

IMG_9424e

"I want to find more dirt!"


Oops, it looks like Darren and Niki saw and were terribly disappointed, so they stormed off:

IMG_9473e

Can you storm off while holding hands?

Ha, just kidding, everyone thought Sean was funny, because he is. Fooled you, didn't I?


And to top off the whole week, it was my birthday! I think I am now undeniably old... 25! A whole quarter century! I've come a long way these 25 years, learning to walk and talk and all. I even found a perfect boy and fell in love. I guess I'll spend the next quarter century having that boy's kids, teaching them to walk and talk. How the world goes round. Speaking of babies, here's what I looked like on my special day:

IMG_9479e

Coming along quite nicely don't you think?

I spent my birthday looking at houses, going out to eat at Kona Grill ('twas our first time and I quite liked it), walking around the mall because that's my idea of fun (window shopping and people watching, ah, that's the life), experiencing my first instance of a stranger rubbing my belly and giving me motherhood advice for 10 minutes, and fell in love all over again with that boy named Sean. It was a perfect day.

And a perfect week with my parents- thanks, wonderful family, for being so wonderful!

11 comments:

  1. Awww that sounds like such a great weekend! You're tummy's growing so quickly. This post made me think that I will not be cool when strangers start groping my stomach. Good for you for being patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you better not be thinking about moving out of the ward!! That would make me very sad :(
    But exciting about buying a house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever see tomatoes sliced so beautifully? I know, me either... It's such a sharp knife. By the way, nice juggling pics... Drop many oranges, butter fingers? D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! It sounds like a perfect day. Where are you looking at houses...that is SUPER exciting for you guys! (Katy is awfully nice by the way...although it'd be a commute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second everything Nicole said! We'd be so sad if you moved out of the ward, but completely jealous if you got a house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Measurement update: as of today, Katie's belly is 38" and her belly button is 38" off the floor

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a mid-life crisis when I turned 22 and still wasn't married... I dunno what's gonna happen this year kuz I turn 25, too! Bah! All is lost.. we're soo old...

    ReplyDelete
  8. House hunting?!!! Oh my! Oh wait, you're in Texas so it's a little more reasonable. Geez Katie you're growing up too fast and leaving the rest of us behind to catch up. I have no babies or house! Hehe. Congrats on making it to 25! 25 seems so old because you're half way to 30! Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did Sean get a hold of a real human skull? and where is the body that was attached to said skull?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is minor but I just realized I said you're when it should have been your in my first comment. Doh. I'm a stickler enough to post another comment about how embarrassed I am.

    ReplyDelete