Friday, November 20, 2009

Living up to our name

Is your anticipation running rampant? Are you ready for the reveal?

Alright, this is what we made:Twins ultrasound 9 weeks 1
Twins ultrasound 9 weeks 2
Actually, I guess I should say the two things we made. That's right folks, I'm pregnant and we're having twins!


Everyone up off the floor? Great, I'll continue.

These wonderful babies are due on June 4th, though I've been told twins usually come early. They're mono-chorionic, di-amniotic twins, which means they share a placenta but are each in their own little space. In some of the ultrasound pictures, you can see the amniotic wall partitioning them off from each other. And for reasons beyond my understanding, the doctor already knows that they're identical. Identical! I've lived my whole life without ever aquiring the skill to tell identical twins apart. I've never been able to. Not once. I'd better learn fast.

Our most recent ultrasound (I'm going to have them frequently since twins are a higher risk) at 9 weeks was in super high def and we saw their little limbs and they were wiggling! I had never even considered that these little embryos could move, not at that point. That means they must have some sort of muscular/nervous system connection that's starting to function. Fascinating and thrilling! It was just astounding to me. I still can't quite comprehend how all this development is even possible.

Everything's been remarkably smooth with my pregnancy, no real sickness at all. Just an occassional queasiness and lack of appetite. Oh, and more frequent bathroom visits! Sean's been a sweetheart taking care of me and not complaining when I'm too tired to tidy up the apartment. For a week.

We are ridiculously excited about these two little babies, albeit a little overwhelmed at the idea of taking care of two at once. But it's going to be a joyful adventure.

And all you experienced ladies out there, bring on the advice!



Did you like the hints in the last post? Sean found that double-yolked egg- brilliance.

I think now we finally deserve the title "The Bradley Bunch."

19 comments:

  1. Yay for us! I guessed right. I thought it was twins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWOWOWOWOW!!! Can I just say WOW again??!!! Congratulations Katie, that is SOOOOO exciting! I cannot believe you're having twins! I definitely had to pick my jaw up off the floor. I'm looking forward to all sorts of posts about these cute little ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I love that you added Pogo to your title picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! I'm so excited for you!!! And a little upset that you didn't get the rediculous morning sickness that I got (I'm kidding). But twins will be awesome!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you're having twins! Good luck! Babies are so much fun...and you're going to get double the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TWINS?!?!?! How exciting!!! Do either of you have twins in your family? I was hoping Preston was twins...two babies for the price of one pregnancy sound good to me :-). There are two sets of little twins in our ward and they're on my Texas friends link if you want to check them out...Laurie Allen and Alisa Mercer. I am obsessed with all families I come across with 2 girls and a boy like us, so thought you might feel the same about other families with twins. Congrats again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That just made my day~I'm so excited for you! And I didn't catch on in the slightest when I saw the other post last night. Having been a mom of ONE for almost 4 weeks...GOOD LUCK with TWO! But having had to have a c-section with my first, I wish it had been twins so I'd be halfway done having kids! Can't wait to see the updates throughout these months!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHHHH!!!!! congratulations!!!!! yippee!!!! TWINNERS!

    Josh just made the point that you are going to be caught up with us already. That's kinda not fair. It's taken me a lot longer to get two babies :)

    I remember my ultrasound with jr. at 7 weeks. He already had a heartbeat and they amplified it through the whole room. At 7 weeks! A heartbeat! That's like two weeks after you find out you're pregnant. I can't believe that people can say a baby isn't alive yet so early in pregnancy!!!! That's so cool that you got to see your little babies moving!

    Congrats again, Katie. I am soooo excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Cow!!!! I just picked my jaw up off the floor. I didn't know you were pregnant, much less with 2! The first roomie, besides my freshman roomate, to have kids!!! I just tried to call you, but I guess you changed your number! Are you going to find out their sex or keep it a surprise?

    ReplyDelete
  11. we'll definitely find out the sex- I've gotta plan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohmigosh katie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congratulations!!!! i can´t believe it! how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy COW!! Congratulations!! It's sooo cool to see those pictures you posted and totally be able to see the two of them. Wow!! How exciting! So glad you have had smooth sailing on how you feel so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! and a little jealous. I always wanted to have twins. Ha. But, now you can pass on all of your brilliant knowledge to me once I finally do have twins :) CONGRATS!! We are so happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowsers! That's awesome!! I've always thought it'd be cool to have twins. And it's sounds best to have them first, because you don't have anything else to compare the craziness to. By the way, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing pictures of you pregnant, because it's really hard to imagine ;) But I'm SUPER excited for you!!!!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie,

    Congratulations, that is amazing! Very clever foreshadowing as well. I hope that everything goes well for all (three!) of you throughout the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh hooray!! We're so excited for you guys! Guess you'll need to be knitting ugly sweaters with a B this Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  18. HOORAY!!! That is so exciting. Identical twins... that's really awesome!

    Are you guys going to be around at Christmas? We'd love to see y'all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOW ON EARTH DID I MISS THIS! I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited for you! HORRAY!

    ReplyDelete