Monday, April 6, 2009

The Conference of Generals

As I went to pick up my Daily Universe (BYU's newspaper) today, I found a large sign saying that the paper had been recalled. Thank goodness for me and all of you that my husband had arrived on campus early and grabbed a newspaper before they snatched them all back. Go ahead and read the caption to this front page photo and see if you can catch the mistake.I think an editor or two may be getting an earful.


My General Conference highlights:


  • I really appreciated Elder Hales talk on overcoming excesses. Addiction really is a complicated beast and it takes a lot of work and reliance upon the Lord to recover.

  • There were a lot of talks about adversity. I guess a lot of people are hurting economically right now. It's good to know that the church leaders are so mindful of us. Seriously, who can listen to President Eyring speak and not feel is concern for us all.

  • Elders Scott and Bednar's talk about temples was great in helping me remember how important our covenants are and what a special blessing we have to attend the temple.

  • I thought Elder Nelson's talk was pretty cool, helping me to learn from some of the "infamous" prayers by our Savior and other prophets.

  • Wow, Elder Holland was wonderful. No matter how well I know the events of the Atonement, I can always be touched by hearing testimony of the things Christ suffered for us. But also, the idea that Christ had to experience divine withdrawal had never occured to me and I'm that much more grateful to Him that I don't have to experience that aloneness.

  • I love listening to Elder Oaks. I always come away knowing EXACTLY what I need to do to be better. And jazzed to do it.

  • Yeah, I should be a better member missionary. Thanks Elder Perry.

Now I'm spiritually stuffed. Ready to put it to use! What were your impressions?

3 comments:

  1. Wow. What a typo, eh?

    I LOVE conference. We're so lucky that we have the technology available that we can listen to the prophet and apostles right in our own homes!

    I was especially touched by Elder Scott's experiences with his family. I can't even imagine losing a child, much less 2. And I felt like Elder Ballard was speaking directly to me when he talked about "provident living". I could use some direction in that area. Couldn't we all?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent summation. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious typo! I'm so glad you guys were able to snag one and share it with us :-)! It made miss BYU :-).

    ReplyDelete