Monday, April 20, 2009

snow buds

Last week we had a nice little snowstorm. And by "nice," I mean "wicked annoying." I am so very done with the cold. But I'll admit, it was a fun juxtaposition of blooming trees coated in wet snow. It was an odd sensation to trudge through the slush while the scent of blossoms tickled my olfactory bulb.
The interesting scenery even distracted me a little during my walk up the Stairs of Death. Until the sting of the cold punished my nose as only winter could.

As much as I enjoyed the trees' new dressing, I was horrified to find this: These are our favorite trees in Provo. I don't know what they're called, I just know they're pretty and smell great. And apparently don't have the greatest root system. I thought this one might be salvageable, but hours later, the whole trunk had been cut up. So many of these types of trees had branches fall off from the heavy, wet snow.

So very sad.

But I made the most of it:I trimmed up of a few of the downed branches and made me a little flower arrangement! It's lasted almost a week already. I guess I should be thankful for the snowstorm.

But I'll scream if we get any more.

5 comments:

  1. perfect example of making lemonade out of lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous pictures! thank you for being so optimistic about that darn snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those flowering trees. They are the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the stairs brought back bad memories :-)! The pictures are beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that flower arrangment and I thought, "how terribly chic that looks"

    ReplyDelete