Wednesday, November 8, 2017

That time I hiked Pikes Peak

Hiking pikes peak
Since we moved to Colorado, Sean's been itching to climb mountains. Last year, he scaled the Incline and hiked up Mount Bierstadt, both of which he... maybe.. forgot... to consult me about or ask me if I wanted to come while he planned the hikes. He did better this time. We waited until Kyle and Lindsay were in town and tackled Pikes Peak along with Austin who was home from college. Most of these pictures, actually, aren't mine but from their phones.

Hiking pikes peak
We went up the back of the mountain, at the Crags trailhead, which we didn't walk by but we got to see from above- those are they, there on the right in the photo.

Hiking pikes peak
Hiking!

Hiking pikes peak
Starting to leave the trees behind.

Hiking pikes peak
I'll be honest, I was the pace setter, which is a nice way of saying the slowest. Sean was sweet and stayed back with me while the other three trotted on ahead. This was the view, generally, those speed demons. I really couldn't fathom how they were going so fast (and I'm a pretty fast walker on flat ground). I am the oldest of the group, so it's at least fitting. Actually, they did hold back often and chat with us, and it was lovely spending all that time with them.

Hiking pikes peak
It got chilly! Right about now, my hip is yelling at me.

Hiking pikes peak
Sean and I decided we'd build a house in that green valley and raise our family and never leave and grown our own food. Since we totally know how to do that.

Hiking pikes peak
Sometimes the trail was level and that was heavenly.

Hiking pikes peak
A moment to rest and selfie.

Hiking pikes peak
Near the top, it's all boulders. It looks intimidating but was actually a welcome change of pace. Having to put my foot at different angles changed what muscles I used and having to think about how to climb distracted my brain from my tiredness.

Hiking pikes peak
It was actually pretty fun.

Hiking pikes peak
And then, after four or five hours (I can't remember now!) of hiking, we summitted Pikes Peak! All 14,115 feet!

Hiking pikes peak
It was so nice to be on level ground. And to have a bathroom. And to buy a Pikes Peak donut and hot chocolate. And just sit for a while.

Hiking pikes peak
You know what else was nice? Spending all day with my Love! He's the best in the world.

Hiking pikes peak
We eventually started to climb down. We needed to relieve Sean's parents from child watching duty and there were some rain clouds in the sky (and we eventually did get rained on a little). I was feeling pretty jazzed though, still feeling the high of reaching the top and expecting the hike down to be small potatoes compared to what we just did.

Hiking pikes peak
I was wrong. Oh so wrong. First problem, my knee. It started hurting a bit when climbing the boulders on the way up. By the time we reached the tree line on the way down, it was screaming in agony. I had to start walking sideways anytime I had to step down off from rocks or whatever, which was, you know, all the time. It looked ridiculous but it was the only way I could descend without collapsing.

Hiking pikes peak
The second problem, I don't want to fully disclose but let's just say there were certain digestive tract issues that you really don't want to encounter on a long hike. At this point, I was super glad that our hike mates were far ahead, that it was just Sean with me at certain points, and no other hikers happened upon us. I tell you, it was miserable. Comically miserable.

Hiking pikes peak
I'd lie if I said that I didn't cry a little. I just felt so yucky inside and my knee was ready to give. But Kyle thought to have me use a stick as a walking stick and that actually helped a ton. I guess there's a reason people use those things! And you know what? We eventually made it back to the car. I know I slowed down the whole party a ton but they were all so kind and understanding (probably because I was not hiding my misery very well). We started back, stopped for a little food, and drove home. I actually had to go straight to church because the Bishop wanted to extend a calling to me- I thought we'd be done a lot faster than we were (again, my fault), I thought I'd have plenty of time to clean up. I kept apologizing for how unpleasant I must have looked/smelled.

It was two days before I could do down the stairs without turning sideways. But you know what? I'm glad I did it. And I'd actually do it again. The hike up. I don't know about the hike down. But now I can look at that mountain, scraped against the sky, and say, "I walked on your face." I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment