Monday, February 11, 2013

Winding Down

IMG_7870e
Can you believe that Sean graduates in just over three months? Wha? This thing called medical school is going to end?

Sean had lots and lots of weeks off after Grey was born and it was wonderful to have him home. But he wasn't always home. No, he had to go do residency interviews, trying to figure out where he wants to do his next step in training. Sean went to eleven pediatric residency interviews in all, a few here in Texas, more sprinkled throughout the country. He finished up in December and I was so very happy to wave goodbye to those long days and nights without him.

Sean's now ordered all these programs, ranking them on where he'd prefer to go. The programs have made their own lists of preferred interviewees. A fancy computer with a fancy algorithm will look at everyone's lists and make the best matches for everyone. We find out where Sean matched on March 15 (Beware the Ides of March indeed) (though everyone finds out if they matched on March 11). I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait to find out where we're going! I don't think I ought to put Sean's list up on the blog, though if you care, just ask and I'll gladly share.

Sean's time off had to end and with the new year came a new rotation- pediatric cardiology. That has a potential to be something he may want to specialize in. Sean just completed a pediatric neurosurgery rotation... definitely something he won't specialize in. I don't know what he has against the brain, it's certainly the coolest. Being a master of neuroscience, I can say that authoritatively. No arguing.

Tomorrow he starts a couple weeks doing research, which should be super low-key, and just a few more rotations after that. Then before we know it, he'll be an actual, long-coated, m.d.-after-his-name doctor. We're going to conquer the world!

5 comments:

  1. How exciting for it to be coming to an end! Can't wait to hear where you are off to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so crazy to think they are almost done! And I am going crazy wondering where we will end up too! Can't wait to hear what match day brings for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your enthusiasm is contagious! As I was reading your post I was getting super excited for you guys. Bring on March!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you all (especially you Katie!!) I've loved following this adventure and can't wait to see what the next one's like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing that the end is in sight! Congrats to you all! I like how you mentioned the long coat too :) What an accomplishment, haha! Danny thinks that's a funny division. I'm curious what your list is like, if you really don't mind sharing. And good luck waiting for match day! Isn't waiting the worst! I'd be shocked though if Sean doesn't get his top choice.

    ReplyDelete