Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Arrival and patriotism

We've arrived! The trip was pretty uneventful- except when I hit a bird and it made me really sad. Really, the bird hit me. It jumped out right in front of me and actually made it over the windshield... and then I heard a big thump against the truck itself. I never saw it after the thud, so maybe it's okay...

We got to spend a night with Sean's grandparents and then a day and a half at Sean's home. That was a nice break from driving. And we did some fun things, of which I'll probably put on pictures later.

We arrived on Friday, after some annoying traffic made us a lot later than we expected. My brother helped us unload, but it was still beastly getting everything to the apartment, mostly because of the heat. People weren't kidding when they said it's hot here. Someone told me it's been record-breaking a few of these days. What perfect timing for us to arrive! I pretty sure I've been dehydrated for five days.

We're unpacking slowly, which is kinda nice, except I can't find things half the time. We've been learning the area a bit, though Sean's a little quicker than I. But I'm proud to say that today I deftly navigated (with the help of the GPS) around Houston to buy some of Sean's birthday presents. Which are now wrapped in newspaper and masking tape, both leftovers from packed boxes. Whatcha gonna do when you don't know where the tape or scissors or wrapping paper are?

A couple of weeks ago, a doctor working for Baylor asked me to come for an interview, so that's what I did this morning. And guess what- he offered me the job! And after talking with Sean, I accepted. Yay, I have a job! I'll be doing EEGs on mice to help figure out epilepsy. Holy handle, I can't tell you what a blessing it was to get this job so quickly, it's such a financial relief. And it seems like a fun place to work.

Alright, that's enough of the words, let's do some pictures. Pictures that are wholy unrelated to my above thoughts. The last weekend we were in Provo, Sean and I explored Provo's Fourth of July celebrations with Kyle and his girlfriend (hee hee!). For your viewing pleasure:


IMG_5393e
Outside of the little colonial area were a bunch of flags.

IMG_5390e
I think they had all the different flags that ever represented this country. Dude, there's a lot!

IMG_5396e
We went into the historic printing press and were really impressed with how much work it took to print... anything!

IMG_5406e
Look at all those individual letters that had to be put all together just to make a page. Just think of it!

IMG_5410e
I think this was a contraption for binding books. I just thought it was neat lookin.

IMG_5422e
Here's Kyle gf. She's awfully happy grinding corn.

IMG_5423e
And then... we ate... crickets.
Moving on...
IMG_5500e
We ventured up to my lab to watch the fireworks which was a pretty great idea- great view without all the bugs. Unfortunately, we already had packed our little tripod, so we took squiggly fireworks photos. No matter, they were fun in the moment!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! And for making Darren work in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting a job! That is so awesome! Glad the move went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Houston! And it really has been hotter than normal (although it is typically hot :-)! LOVE your pictures as always and congrats on your job...you two are so smart...your kids are going to be scary smart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you made it and that you got a job! That's terrific. And nobody deserves it more than you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for your job!!! I'm so happy for you! You're really blessed to continue a job within your career path. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you found a job. EEGs sound pretty cool! Maybe that experience with the ultrasounds will help you out =)

    ReplyDelete